Monday, March 26, 2012

Battery Life for the New iPad -- Absolutely Nothing To Do With the Bakken

Updates

March 27, 2012: here's more from Apple, regarding Apple IOS devices and batteries:
So, here’s how things work: Apple does in fact display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged.

Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today.

That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao said. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”
Original Post

I think I am reading this correctly. Under some conditions, one can get 25 hours of battery life out of the new iPad.
A few other tidbits related to the device's battery are gaining some exposure, information which may help users plan how they use their iPads. First, a report from AnandTech addressing battery life has been gaining renewed interest for its revelation that users running a Verizon iPad in personal hotspot mode can see as much as 25 hours of battery life to provide connectivity for their other devices. That number has also been confirmed by The Verge.
The advertised duration for a fully charged iPad is ten hours.

Again, I could be reading this incorrectly, but that's what I'm reading. That might explain why it takes longer to charge up the new iPad also.

2 comments:

  1. To put it in layman's terms to achieve a 25 hour battery duration the device would more or less be in standby mode doing only one task. The screen would be off and it would simply be taking a Verizon wireless signal and replicating it as wi-fi for other devices to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That makes sense.

      And to think tethering, if I'm not mistaken, was "developed" by users in the field. At least I remember first reading about users finding ways to tether their smart phones. It is amazing how far we've come with technology.

      That is one of the things I like about my iPad. I don't have to turn it off; it goes to sleep when not used, and uses almost no power while sleeping, so that when I "turn" it back on a day or so later, almost no degradation in battery life; it comes up immediately; no "booting." It is amazing how seldom I actually seem to recharge my iPad -- and when I do it's seamless -- charging when I'm sleeping. And I "never" turn it off.

      I've talked about this before: 20 years ago, or 30 years, or whenever, I was impressed that Jobs was moving away from floppy disks, from hard drives, from anything that moved -- doing everything he could to reduce power consumption. At the time he was removing disk drives it was because, he said, that the number one cause for viruses (especially at schools) was sharing disks. I find it truly amazing what he accomplished by keeping his focus on two or three things: "plug and play"; no moving parts; NO NOISE -- remember that? He absolutely hated noise -- no fans in his computers to decrease heat because he couldn't stand the noise .... a lot of great stories.

      Delete