Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Grocery Shopping In North Texas -- September 21, 2022

In my neighborhood, I am fortunate to have four grocery stores.

Groceries:

  • regional high cost: a ten-minute bike ride; I no longer shop there; it was the nearest grocery store to the apartment complex where we used to live; outrageously expensive but because of its convenience (location to nearby apartment complexes; and right off the highway) it is fairly busy;
  • regional low cost: a five-minute bike ride; best choice for inexpensive sushi; prices better than the former grocery store but compared to Target, very, very expensive;
  • Target: two-minute bike ride; I generally shop here, visiting almost daily for an item or two; very good prices, in general; beer / wine much more expensive than Total Wine, a two-minute bike ride.
  • Walmart: a fifteen-minute bike ride; inconvenient compared to Target, but the prices are incredible

Target :: Walmart

  • avocados
    • 99 cents each :: 58 cents each
  • limes
    • 38 cents each :: 18 cents each
  • large pumpkins
    • $5.68 each :: $4.68 each
  • pickled herring: price did not matter. Walmart had it; Target did not.

I had not been to Walmart in a long time but I went yesterday because I couldn't find a product I was looking at the other grocery stores. No, not the pickled herring; something else.

Wow, what a pleasant experience.

Not particularly crowded, mid-day, Tuesday.

Self-check-out: much nicer, bigger area; no line; Target has a very small self-check-out but worse, there's always a line waiting to use it.

But this is what blew me away, why I'm blogging about this.

As soon as I got home, I found an e-mail from Walmart waiting for me. 

They set up an account for me which shows everything I bought. That list goes back two years. I had not seen this before. And it's exactly what Amazon does but Walmart does it so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment