Sunday, July 14, 2019

Coal -- Part 3, I Guess -- July 14, 2019

This is pretty cool. For the past couple of days I've been doing a short series on coal (see this link).  Today I noted that oilprice posted a story yesterday (July 13, 2019) on the very same subject with the very same them.


*********************************
The Book Page

From the Tate Museum in London [UK], our older daughter brought me a copy of Hamlet: Globe to Globe -- 193,000 Miles, 197 Countries, One Play, Dominc Dromgoole, c. 2018.

Absolutely fascinating. In addition to the story, I love the "English" or British idioms. I find myself initially confused, not understanding a particular idiom or a particular way a sentence is structured -- after several re-readings, or more clues a few pages later, I figure it out. I may provide a list of such words, phrases. We'll see.

Example: very first page, second sentence: "away days." I had no idea what the author was talking about.

When I was in the USAF, we called our annual strategic sessions "offsites" because we generally went off-base for one or two days to work on strategic planning. It turns out the Brits call these "offsites," "away days."

The story is about the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre [London] players touring all seven continents and 197 countries performing Hamlet.

Page 1, introduction, in the planning stages,
We imagined that we would attract student companies and amateur groups, but as the idea spread, it captured the imagination in the way only stupid ideas can, and grew rapidly in scale. Everyone wanted to join it -- apart from the French -- and we were inundated with enthusiasm from all corners of the globe.
Including North Korea.

But not France.

LOL.

2 comments:

  1. The growth in China coal production has been like a rocket. US was number one for all of the 20th century until about 1990 (and relatively flat from 1920-present). China came out of nowhere prior to 1960 and is now doing 4 times as much as the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Western-centered media and western policy makers seem completely unaware of what's going on in China and India.

      Delete