Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ramblings And Musings: Ready To Flee

Updates Throughout The Day
 

****************************

My wife went to the post office yesterday to buy some stamps. She simply wanted 50 Christmas stamps for her annual holiday updates to friends. 
The clerk asked her "what denomination?" 
You don't know my wife. I stepped back. 
"God help us, has it come to this?" she practically yelled.
Calming down she continued, "Okay. Give me 22 Catholic, 12 Presbyterian, 10 Lutheran, and 6 Baptists."
****************************

6:56 a.m. PT: I was going to add a clip from Hunter S Thompaon's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but didn't quite fit the mood this early in the morning. Maybe midnight tonight. So, what's the market doing, now that it must be after 9:30 on the East Coast? Oil up slightly. Market flat, down slightly. CVX melting up. 

6:41 a.m. Pacific Time: I was going to buy a new Phillips Blu-Ray DVD player at Target today. Regular readers know that I don't watch television any more (or very, very rarely). I brought a cardboard box full of new Blu-Ray DVDs out to California with me. The Blu-Ray DVD player we have out here, bought this most recent summer, plays Blu-Ray and other DVDs just fine except for "Disc 2" of The Hunger Games (first movie). Don't understand it. I can access "Disc 2" on the Phillips Blu-Ray DVD player at home in Texas, but not on the player here in LA for some reason.

My wife saw Hunger Games for the first time last night; it was the second time I saw it. I saw a lot of things I missed the first time. Our ten-year-old granddaughter has read the read trilogy three times. She knows the story by heart. For my cross-country trip she gave me a card with the inscription: "May the odds be ever in your favor."

The Hunger Games

I thought it was an incredible story line. My wife's one-word review: "interesting."

Because we couldn't see Disc 2 of The Hunger Games, we watched the first two episodes, Season 1, of The Big Bang Theory. Again.
Original Post

Overriding theme for the day: I am ready to get back on the road. Two days in Los Angeles; seen it, done, ready to ride.

California Dreamin', The Mamas and The Papas

This might be my last post for the morning. I will just keep adding to it. Should I put the new stuff on top, or keep adding it to the bottom. I think I will put updates at the top.

I've posted the usual morning updates, including the wells that came off confidential list today.

Things on my mind: unable to log onto my Target Red Card account. Not a good sign for the company. The data breach began November 27th and extended through December 15th. It appears card holders learned this through the media. No e-mail alert sent; at least not yet.

Stock market surges almost 300 points yesterday. My wife and I were on the "405" after an incredibly wonderful day. We spent the day at the Getty Museum off I-405 just a couple of miles north of Wilshire Avenue. This was also the site of all that freeway construction some months (years?) ago. They did an incredible job. This was the first time my wife saw the "new" freeway, and, of course, it was the first time I saw it. If I recall, the biggest change was the removal of the Wilshire overpass over I-405. The view of this change from atop the hill at the Getty Museum was quite extraordinary. The absence of the overpass is visibly striking.

We enjoyed the Getty more than we usually do. Not sure why. It's my wife's favorite museum in southern California, and maybe her favorite fine art museum in the entire US. I tend to agree. I bought two Getty biographies. I will quote from them after Christmas. My wife will wrap them and put them under the tree.

Neither of us thought we would enjoy the current featured exhibit, Canterbury and St Albans: Treasures From Church and Cloister, but it was incredible. We will be going again next week when our Portland, OR, daughter/son-in-law visit us for the holidays. Both have their divinity degrees; they will be overwhelmed by the exhibit. I think. We were stationed in England / East Anglia (home of the warmists) and never realized how much we missed; and we thought we saw "everything" in this part of England when we there for three years, 1986 - 1989, inclusive through the summers.

So, that's how we spent our day yesterday.

New stuff will be added at the top of the post, if the spirit moves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment