Monday, February 12, 2018

Closing Out The Poll -- February 12, 2018

I haven't watched CNBC since Thursday, more than a week ago, I believe, it was February 1, 2018, when the market plummeted. I knew that all of last week would be crazy on CNBC with all the volatility of the market, so I stayed away from CNBC.

I plan to stay away from CNBC for the next three or four weeks until I see what the new "normal" for the market is. A half-percent move on a 26,000-point Dow is 130 points, so one would assume any move less than 100 points in either direction (up or down) is simply background noise. Once I get a feeling for the new "normal" I will return to CNBC. Until then, ....

To avoid CNBC and the market, I also need to avoid Yahoo!Finance which is difficult because that's where I get my WTI prices for the daily morning and afternoon post.

I assume the blog will suffer to some degree by not following business news; but, we'll see.

Having said that, I'm tired of the poll on the blog right now, so I will close it out.

In the poll, I asked readers what they thought should replace GE on the Dow 30. The results of that poll:
  • another FANG (Facebook, Netlix, Alphabet): 23%
  • a railroad (UNP, CSX, Norfolk Southern): 9%
  • manufacturing (Corning, Cummins, StanleyBlack&Decker): 29%
  • teleccommunications (T, CMCSA): 6%
  • Banking (BAC, BK): 18%
  • other, including: Google, TSLA, an airline, Deere: 6%
I agree that it should be another manufacturing company.

I see analysts are suggest a target price of $14 for GE. Today, it was down on an "up" day for the market, at about $14.81.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship-related decisions based on anything you read here or think you may have read here.

****************************
The Apple Page

Surfing around the net to see what folks are saying about Apple's new smart speaker, the HomePod, my thoughts: something tells me that:
  • a) the HomePod is going to be huge for Apple
  • b) with the HomePod plus all the other interactive speakers out there, Bose radio/cd player is in real trouble
We have three Bose radios. I love Bose. But I wonder if I'm of an older generation that loved Bose but the younger generations coming up will spend their "speaker" money on Sonos, Google Home Max, HomePod, etc.

I've never seen the Bose Radio priced differently than $499. I think the Bose radio has been priced at $499 since the day it first became available. I see a "discount" on-line distributor has the Bose radio for $399 -- but that's an exception. 

No comments:

Post a Comment