Sunday, August 25, 2019

Caveman Grilling -- August 25, 2019

Wow, I'm in a great mood. I tried a new way of "grilling" tonight.

My brother-in-law called it "caveman grilling" when I explained what I was going to do.

I think I mentioned it the other day.

I stopped by Barbecue Outfitters, Southlake, TX, on Friday, got a bag of Fogo lump charcoal.

I bought an incredibly cheap cut of skirt steak. Only flavoring that I added was Australian flake sea salt.

Skirt steak:
From wiki: Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat, and prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. Skirt steak is the cut of choice for making fajitas, ranchera, Chinese stir-fry, churrasco, and in Cornish pasties.
So, Fogo:


Then getting the fire going.


And then putting the meat directly on the hardwood.


One minute -- yes, one minute -- on the embers.

Then in heavy aluminum foil for at least fifteen minutes. While I was doing this, May was baking salmon, sauteing asparagus, and grilling shrimp.

The skirt steak was incredibly tasty. My wife said it was the best tasting steak she had ever had, and she was serious. A little chewy ... just like wiki said.

Note: do not do this using "regular" charcoal. Regular briquets have additives that will seriously hurt you if you throw the meat directly into the coal.

No comments:

Post a Comment