Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another LPG-Export Terminal

In the process of searching for something else, I ran across this, as reported by Argus Media.

Data points:
  • new LPG-export terminal; Beaumont, Texas; Japan + European joint venture
  • exports predominantly to Asia-Pacific
  • hinted at this project in 2011 due to glut of propane but didn't say anything until yesterday
  • Japan: 34% stake
  • first phase: $500 million; will include a 100,00 b/d de-ethanizer (strip ethane from propane)
  • to be completed by 4Q14
  • differential between US propane / Asian propane: $452/t
  • several other LPG-export facilities mentioned in the linked article
Note: the ethane will be stripped out, adding to even more ethane stateside. (Corrected: see comment from "anon 1.")

5 comments:

  1. Tip:

    "ethane rejection" is leaving it in the gas stream, to be sold as gas, not stripping it out.

    Anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I am trying to get this right. Sorry. It's a new concept for me.

      Thank you very much for correcting me. I assume that the part about "stripping it out" will add to more ethane to the market (or wherever it goes) is correct.

      Delete
  2. The ethane and propane are in a blend.

    RBN. 8.05. 12 toward the end.



    I generally can't copy URL on iPad.

    I am not sure if they buy e/p mix or propane with ethane impurity.

    Yes, ethane will need a market.

    Crackers on the way, I think.
    Polly want a cracker? Yes, many.

    Anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Yes, I can't paste a URL into a comment box either on the iPad (version 1, but I assume it's the same for all iPads).

      Long-time readers will know I had never planned nor wanted to get into natural gas/condensates: too confusing, etc., but one thing led to another, but I'm gradually learning. Hopefully bringing some other neophytes along.

      Delete
    2. This is the RBN Energy article "Anon 1" is referring to:

      http://www.rbnenergy.com/carbon-rich-value-high-ngl-trading-part-III-%20ethane

      I've been really impressed with their articles.

      Delete