Sunday, January 31, 2021

Weber Grilling -- Thinking Of Those Digging Out Of The Snow In Chicago, New York -- January 31, 2021

Short-sleeve weather in north Texas this weekend. 

There is only one "negative" associated with living in our apartment. That one negative: we are not allowed to grill on the patio. I have no gate leading from the railed patio so it is literally impossible to have a Weber. I could store a Weber on the patio but I could never get it off the patio without a lot of work. 

If I had to list my top five interests or hobbies, grilling on a Weber would make the top-five list. The only question is how high on that list would it appear. Bicycling is, of course, #1 -- yes, ranking higher than blogging on the Bakken, #2. 

So, is grilling on the Weber, #3, #4, or #5? 

Last week  it might have been #5 but then a reader sent me this photo last night and this caption: "It never gets old."

That raised grilling on the Weber to #4 on my list of things I enjoy most. The reader did this, by the way, as a request from his mother, about my age, and obviously with a great taste for life.

But today, the reader raised the ante, again, with one photo and a one-word caption: "Perfect."

Don't you just love the way the ribs are displayed? I so dislike the neatly ordered way "professional" chefs line up their ribs in the typical American football offensive line-up. 

Grilling on the Weber, at the moment, has moved to the top of my top-5 list. 

I am seriously considering moving when the current lease is up. 

After seeing the first photo last night, I checked out several YouTube videos of grilling a rack of lamb. There were several excellent videos. Hands down, the worst video for learning how to grill a rack of lamb was that by super-chef Gordon Ramsay. I was aghast! Cooking a rack of lamb in an indoor oven. LOL.  

The one by Helen Rennie was the best ... until she said she grilled on gas. Ouch. 

Takeaways:

  • removing excess fat is up to the individual; not all would agree with Helen Rennie;
  • no mint. Ever. Rosemary-thyme-Dijon mustard-salt-pepper-olive oil-(garlic)
  • aluminum foil on the ends of the ribs? A bit of affectation: hey, grilling on the Weber should stay simple; no aluminum foil;
  • a thermometer is a must: lamb is just too expensive to miss on this one; goes against the "simplicity" rule but in this case some rules need to be broken
  • if you dare go without a thermometer: 4.5 minutes, with one turn, over direct heat;
  • 125°F is when the lamb comes off direct heat; how you finish is up to you;
    • min: 120°F
    • max: 130°F

No comments:

Post a Comment