Monday, March 18, 2019

Monday, March 18, 2019, T+75, Part 5

Chicken paws.

A huge, huge "thank you" to a reader for sending a note on "chicken paws." I read the note -- some days ago. I didn't know what to do with the note, and then, one thing led to another, and here I am, at chicken paws. (It's better than thinking about Occasional-Cortex -- although it only takes three dots to connect "chicken paws" with Occasional-Cortex.)

At the link:
The United States Department of Agriculture does indeed make a distinction between chicken feet and chicken paws.
The chicken paw on the left (see photo at the link) does not have as much of the lower leg as the chicken foot on the right. While the difference may seem subtle to many people, it's apparently very important to consumers in China.
Two things: today, my wife and I will go to sushi in Plano. After lunch we will stop at H Mart, the "Asian Walmart for groceries." The entire store is awesome but my favorite is the seafood and frozen fowl section.

Years ago, my wife-to-be almost broke up with me when, while touring northern California, I suggested "doughnut holes" for breakfast. She did not know about doughnut holes, but immediately visualized them, thinking that I was warning her about gaining weight. Wow, did she blow up at me when I suggested "doughnut holes." That was 43 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

We had a lot of miscommunication those days.

One day while driving around Sacramento, CA, the capital of the Golden State, my wife wondered out loud if I knew where Jerry Brown lived. Of course, she was referring to the governor, but I had a very, very close friend in college, also named Jerry Brown. When asked if I might know where Jerry Brown might live, again, my wife blew up when I said, "I suppose somewhere in Minneapolis."

But I digress.

Back to chicken paws. On the way to sushi today, I'm going to casually suggest we buy some chicken paws on the way home. Of course, she will correct me, telling me I misspoke, and that I meant "chicken claws" or chicken feet. I won't say a thing; I will simply pick up a bag at H Mart. LOL.

***************************
The Book Page

I am reading several books right now, mostly literature.

But I am carrying with me, The Los Alamos Primer: The First Lectures on How to Build An Atomic Bomb, by Robert Serber, annotated by Robert Serber, edited with an introduction by Richard Rhodes, University of California Press, c. 1992.

The book is hardcover. At the museum in Los Alamos it cost me $79. It's available at Amazon for $43. Lesson learned. Again. But no regrets. None. The museum gave me a bunch of free stuff including another hardcover book. 

********************************
Mother's Day

I should save these for Mother's Day but that's too long to wait.

Quick, pop quiz:

1. What was Buzz Aldrin's (second man on the moon) mother's maiden name?

2. Who was"Enola Gay" -- the name painted on the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb?

3. Extra credit: the name of the B-29 that dropped the second atomic bomb?

Enola Gay, The OMD

No comments:

Post a Comment