Monday, August 15, 2011

Apple iPad -- Not a Bakken Story

Update


Hewlett-Packard to quit selling it's tablet, and probably spin off it's computer business. Another one bites the dust.

Original Post


As regular readers know, I grew up with Apple and have never owned any computer other than an Apple. I am the original fanboy. Actually that's not quite true. I am #3. Wozniak was number one -- I think I recall him saying that he was Fanboy #1 -- and the author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I think it was, but I could be wrong on this, said he was Fanboy #2.

Be that as it may, I've claimed the #3 spot for myself. Along with several million others, I assume.

I am reminded of that as I sit here and type in a nearby McDonald's (one of the few I might add that doesn't have free wi-fi) on my iPad. I carry my iPad everywhere I go. I got the original dock, and that was fine, but when Apple came out with the Bluetooth keyboard, I was blown away. So here I sit, with the iPad propped up on an empty Big Mac box, typing on the Bluetooth wireless keyboard, elegant in its own right.

I generally don't take the keyboard with me, but when I travel long distances and know I will be blogging, I take it. It is absolutely amazing.

Some folks are going to ask my why I don't just take a laptop? I do. I have a laptop with me also, but the laptop only has wi-fi, no 3G capabilities and there is no free wi-fi here. In addition, the iPad will last ten hours between charges; the laptop a lot less. No need to get out a cord.

Several years ago when traveling through airports, I didn't see many Apple computers. Now, it's unusual to see someone using something other than an Apple.

Anyway, just idle rambling. I don't own stock in Apple. But I don't mind spreading the word. If you are contemplating getting a tablet, the iPad is the only real choice. Folks who say the iPad is too expensive, you can get the wi-fi model without 3G and save a few bucks. The cost of an iPad works out to two monthly car payments. And as I've said before, my iPad gives me a lot more pleasure than my car. (Maybe I need a sportier car.) I do recommend the 3G model however. Nothing is more irritating than being somewhere where you can't connect.

8 comments:

  1. I bought an iPad about 6 months ago but not the 3G as I am lucky to be around Wi-Fi about everywhere I go. My daily routine is to be at the coffee shop about 6:45am and read the Million Dollar Way as I watch Fox News. It's a tough life. Your articles are always a conversation topic at the coffee shop and my pals never know what I will come up with. I live in Texas and some think I know more about ND and MT than my own State. As I tell them, thats where my minerals are and my interests lies where the money may someday be. I will eventually get a well on my 400+ net mineral acres in Roosevelt and Williams Counties. Until then, I will keep reading your articles on my iPad about those fantastic wells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. Thank you for taking time to comment.

    I'm traveling so my blogging will be limited. Bear with me; I will try to post as much as I can.

    I'm on the west coast so my notes will be later in the day than usual.

    Good luck with your minerals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than a big mac box

    http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=15-225|Level=2-3|pageid=7886

    ReplyDelete
  4. Douglas Adams, an amazing author! = fanboy#2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an aggressive reading program, and have looked at that book many times over the years, but never gotten into it. Maybe I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, the Nantucket iPad holder, from Mike's note above, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is hard to get into. I would suggest reading through the first part (1 of 6 books i believe) quickly, it is rather dry. Books 2-4 are amazing pieces of literature. I have always enjoyed these stories through the years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate that. James Joyce's "Ulysses" was very, very difficult for me until I settled down and took it very slowly, savoring the writing. Over time, I really began to enjoy it. Something tells me "The Hitchhiker's Guide" is a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete