Thursday, May 25, 2023

Apple iPad -- May 25, 2023

Locator: 44754AAPL.
 
A reader asked my thoughts on buying a new/refurbished iPad for his 9 y/o and 11 y/o daughters.
 
My not-ready-for-prime-time reply (not proofread; subject to change). The recommendation based on "best bang for buck"; second generation pencil; and, screen size):
You can't go wrong on any iPad.

You don't need cellular. Wi-fi, as you know, is everywhere.

I would get the largest screen out there, (but not the iPad Pro). After that, it almost doesn't matter.  In other words, don't buy the iPad Mini.

(I assume we're only talking Apple.)

Any Apple product with "PRO" in its name is way, way more than tweeners need. I believe the iPad we have is a "PRO" but didn't come with that name -- based on screen size, but not the new chip.

Memory: I've never bought an iPad with a lot of memory. So, go for "base" models with 64 GB.

You have to get a pencil, unfortunately, but if you want, you can wait. Kids don't use the pencil as much as adults.

If you get a pencil, get generation 2 ($129); not generation 1 ($99). I'll explain later.

(The new iPads -- see below -- don't accept generation 2 -- don't ask!)

That leads you to the "old" iPad (the only one that has not been updated) but still has the M1 chip. [The "pro" also uses the 2nd generation pencil.]

Best choice for these daughters with eye on cast: the iPad Air, starting at $599 (see below).
Color doesn't matter.
At Amazon, currently available at $499!
***********************
iPencil


My suggestion.

I don't know if you were considering one iPad for each. If so, I would buy one iPad Air and let them play with it this summer, and then see if. you need a second iPad and if you need the pencil.
Amazon also has Apple iPencils, second generation at discount prices -- but make sure they are genuine Apple pencils. Refurbished is okay.
***********

More later, if this raises more questions.

*************

Refurbished -- great option if available.

*************

AppleCare / Warranty: I've never bought AppleCare.

Comment: if money is no object, the 12.9" iPad is what I have, absolutely love it, and Sophia uses it all the time. But a 10.9" for a tweener might be easier to hold anyway. But I think the iPad 12.9" I have is now the iPad Pro. Don't know for sure. 

***********************
Reader Response

At Amazon

My reply:

I would buy this is in a heartbeat!

It takes the 1st generation pencil -- but that's not a big deal by any means.

Isn't that amazing? $269 for top of the line iPad!

Look how deeply Amazon is cutting Apple iPad costs


No comments:

Post a Comment