Friday, April 28, 2023

Unbelievable? April 28, 2023

Locator: 44490P.

XOM: By the way, before we get started. 

How much oil was refined last quarter compared to previous calendar first quarters? I have no idea but it must be a lot. Think about this. XOM reports the largest first quarter profit in their 140-year history, and yet oil prices were "way down." Two things: margins and volume. Actually three/four things: subtract expenses (including taxes, etc). 

But XOM must be hitting on all four cylinders -- increased volume, increased margins, cost control, and tax management -- to set a first quarter record like that.

Has XOM been laying off employees? If so, not being widely reported.

Now, back to our regular programming:

I assume "duly elected."

If so, I find this reprehensible, unless I'm missing something or there's more to the story. I know nothing more about this story than this "headline."

WWJD?

And with that, I'm off the net for awhile. Or not.

Maybe I should do a poll.

Wow, I'm in a feisty mood this morning, but I've never felt better with regard to the market. But I am getting tired of all the crazy reporting and headlines on the business pages.

Exhibit A:

By the way, I still need to get back to Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, BKR and all their excuses. Lack of out-of-the-box thinking.

Before I get started on WBCMBRK, look at BRK's holdings -- all of them and percent of each holding as part of the overall portfolio.

Then review reasons given by CM and WB why they are holding a huge cash hoard and not spending it.

It has to do with the SEC and "ownership" rules. Link here.

2 comments:

  1. Like most clickbait articles these days, the one you referenced buries the lede behind an inflammatory headline. The representative was barred from speaking on the house floor for the remainder of the session (only 1-2 weeks if I recall) after breaking decorum by accusing fellow reps of "having blood on their hands". When you break the rules, there are consequences

    ReplyDelete