Saturday, April 24, 2021

Facts Don't Matter -- April 24, 2021

At the bottom of the page / bottom of the blog, I have a gazillion tags. Despite the huge number, they help me save time. Because the number of tags has become so large, I'm trying to minimize new tags, hoping I can find an existing tag for new posts. But after a reader sent me this link, I think I may need to come up with a new tag: "Facts_Don't_Matter."

From PowerLine: why wind and solar energy are doomed to failure.

No, I'm not going to add a new tag. We'll use the ones we have. 

For the archives. 

The only question that remains, when will the "house of cards" fall? 

By the way, the central them of the linked article, "land constraints," was pointed out by Exxon about ten years ago. I posted the link at the sidebar at the right, but it appears that article has long disappeared. Exxon was correct then and remains correct today. 

Archived.

********************************
Words Matter

Whorfianism.

Wiki entry.

Another famous anecdote from his job [as a fire inspector for an insurance company] was used by Whorf to argue that language use affects habitual behavior.

Whorf described a workplace in which full gasoline drums were stored in one room and empty ones in another; he said that because of flammable vapor the "empty" drums were more dangerous than those that were full, although workers handled them less carefully to the point that they smoked in the room with "empty" drums, but not in the room with full ones.

Whorf argued that by habitually speaking of the vapor-filled drums as empty and by extension as inert, the workers were oblivious to the risk posed by smoking near the "empty drums."

No comments:

Post a Comment