Sunday, July 18, 2021

I Can Die Happy -- July 18, 2021

This is very, very interesting on so many, many levels.

I've talked many, many times about streaming, content, Disney, Hulu, YouTube, Roku, Amazon Prime Video, etc. 

I've talked many, many times about how thrilled I am with Hulu and the Amazon TV Fire Stick. [I'm sure all the others are just as good, perhaps better. I am not an apologist for Hulu or Amazon -- it's just what I have now and it works for me.]

I've also talked many times that it bothers me not at all that "the internet" (whatever that means) tracks me and knows what I like. 

Hold all those thoughts.

Some months ago, I became aware of a Linda Ronstadt documentary, "The Sound of My Voice." 

I finally found it but it was only available with a paid subscription to YouTube TV. [This is different than the YouTube website with which we are all familiar.]

We were already subscribed to Hulu and Amazon Prime Video and I was not in the mood to subscribe to yet another streaming "network." [Again, huge thanks to my wife for realizing how good Hulu was and subscribing.]

And so that was it. It just was not in the cards that I would see the documentary. 

Hold that thought.

Tonight I was incredibly bored. One thousand channels and nothing on to paraphrase Bruce Springsteen. LOL. 

So, I closed everything out. Closed all my tabs/windows on the browser and re-booted the computer.

I shut off the television / the Amazon TV fire stick and then re-booted all of that. 

I was going to listen to some more Lana Del Rey.

Hold that thought.

I was going to listen to some more Lana Del Rey. 

YouTube apparently thought differently. Not YouTube TV -- as noted above, we don't subscribe or have access to YouTube TV.

And, then out of the blue, out of the gazillion -- literally a gazillion postings over at YouTube -- YouTube directed me ..... drum roll ... to Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice.

YouPost uploaded the documentary -- can you believe that -- uploaded the documentary on July 7, 2021 -- that's like two weeks ago. And I never would have seen it had "someone" not tracked my interests. Had "someone" not tracked my search for this documentary, I am one-hundred percent convinced YouTube never would have directed me to this documentary.

The documentary is "free, with ads," but without ads if one subscribes to YouTube TV

An hour and thirty-three minutes of excitement and bliss. 

So, tonight, at 10:00 p.m. my wife and I are watching this on the "big screen." LOL. Our large, flat screen, smart TV with the Amazon TV Fire Stick.

Okay, if you enjoy music and enjoy Linda Ronstadt this is not to be missed. This is incredible. 

It's interesting to see who financed this. I would have expected Rolling Stone but it was three other film companies. 

I can die happy.

*************************
For The Grandchildren

If I had to name one singer with whom I grew up, it had to be Linda Ronstadt. Perhaps the most iconic album cover that ever blew me away was "Living in the USA," the one in which she is lacing up her roller skates. 

My parents never played music at home when I was growing up. I'm not sure if I heard anything on the radio other than a few country songs while in high school in Williston, ND. I do remember the farm report at noon. LOL.

It was when I got to college that I started listening to music on a more regular basis but don't remember how/where I heard the music. I certainly did not have a "record player" or any stereo system -- not only was my dorm room too small, I never would have had enough money to have a stereo system. 

That was Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD.

From there I went to Highland Park, Los Angeles, CA, for a year or so and then to South Pasadena, CA, for the next three years, leaving after receiving an advanced degree from a trade/technical school. LOL.

My musical interests during those four years in southern California were quite eclectic. Again, I don't recall what kind of stereo system I had. I do know that I was purposely trying to expand my musical interests, specifically listening to a lot of Mahler. LOL.

But along the way, the only musician I was consistently drawn to was Linda Ronstadt. 

The music during those years were incredible -- 1969 - 1973 or thereabouts. 

I've maintained that the one year, 1969, with six months on either side, was the absolute best year for music. At my "music" blog, I have a post "dedicated" to 1969. I've talked about that before. A close friend suggests that 1967 was better than 1969. He knows music a whole lot better than I do and his son is in the music industry in Hollywood, so whether it was 1967 or 1969, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm just glad to hear that he agrees that 1969 was on that very, very short list of great years for music.

On another note, curious, asking for a friend

Induction.

Induction soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment