Saturday, October 24, 2020

Sports -- October 24, 2020

World Series ratings: the headlines --

  • game 1: least watched World Series game of all-time --- think about that: OF ALL TIME; link here;
    • the previous time MLB declined below 10 million viewers for a World Series contest came in 2008
  • game 2: second straight all-time low for the World Series; link here; new record -- lowest rating and least-watched game in WS history; 5.0 rating and 8.95 million viewers;
  • game 3: ratings pending;

College football: I just checked in to see if there is any college football worth watching. Here's what I found among the six games being televised on cable television right now:

  • 48 - 7: I don't care who is playing; I wouldn't be watching this game any longer; it's near the end of the 3rd quarter;
  • 45 - 17: ditto, and it's #5 Ohio State beating unranked Nebraska; I won't be watching this one either; big story: one of the rushing backs changed his (jersey) number this year; are you kidding me?
  • 38 - 16: ditto;
  • 38- 7: ditto;
  • 27 - 7: ditto
  • 14 - 10: a close game; worth watching except I'm not interested in Tulane - UCF (central Florida);

NASCAR Xfinity doesn't air until 3:30 p.m. CDT;

Apple TV+: holy mackerel. If you live inside the Apple ecosystem and don't have Apple TV+ .... well, what can I say? $4.99 / month and can cancel any time. Family subscription. As many as six can access Apple TV+ on one subscription. Some stations are interrupted with ads. 

The New York Review of Books: nada. You can thank me later. "De nada," says Sophia. We are learning Spanish together on Duolingo. 

Library: the one copy of Rebecca at the local library is checked out and I gave away my copy years ago, so I guess I will have to re-read the history of Samuel Richardson (1689 - 1761) and Clarissa. Richardson competes with Daniel Defoe as the first of the novelists. One critic suggests that whereas Richardson merely invented characters, Defoe truly created characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment