Saturday, April 16, 2016

Spooky, Scary -- April 16, 2016

Updates

Later, 11:50 a.m. Central Time: a reader suggests I read this article in The Wall Street Journal on serendipity.
 
Original Post
 
Last night, less than 18 hours ago, my wife was ironing. She mentioned to me that if I ever come across an iron over at Amazon.com she would like a new iron. I believe the one we have was handed down to us when we got married several decades ago. It's been with us through Germany, England, Turkey, and Alabama.

Today, out of the blue, Amazon.com sent me a "tailored list" of twelve items I might "like/need/enjoy" based on my buying patterns. The list was composed mostly of books. Two items that completely blew me away: adult diapers (unneeded; probably based on my age; LOL) and, this: a brand new iron. You have got to be kidding.

I haven't ordered a household appliance from Amazon.com in recent memory. We do not have an Amazon Echo in the house. My wife has never mentioned the word "iron" in my presence in the past twenty years. She mentioned it last night -- something she would like, and BOOM! there it is, on a list tailored by Amazon.com for my viewing pleasure.

Unless irons are among the #1 items ordered from Amazon.com by senior citizens, I have no idea how this ended up in my e-mail.

Spooky. Scary.

I'm going out now to buy a lottery ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment