Tonight, I happened to take a bit of time to look at Sven's reading list. The list is very, very eclectic. His list reminds me of my early library of about 30 books that I read during short periods of "temporary duty" to a remote air base in northern England over the course of four years.
I am very, very impressed with Sven's list. There are some challenging books on that list, particularly the Russian novels, that I have in my library. Although I have often wanted to start reading them, I've never had "whatever it takes" to actually get started.
Interestingly, there are some books on Sven's list that are also in my library, and books that I put near the top of my reading list, to include:
- Beowulf (a different translation than the one Sven has)
- The Sagas of the Icelanders (one of my favorites)
- The Sorrows of Young Werther -- Goethe (how this ended up on both our lists, I have no idea)
- Asimov's Guide to the Bible
- The Hidden Reality -- Brian Greene (actually I have a different book by this author)
- Better Living Through Plastic Explosives – Zsuzsi Gartner