Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh, By The Way -- Home of Economy --

I keep forgetting to note this.

While watching the college football game tonight -- actually, I'm not watching it. It's on in the background. I had hoped to see game 6 of the World Series but postponed due to weather.

And then a Home of Economy commercial popped up....

As I've mentioned before, Home of Economy is my favorite store in Williston, and could probably be displaced by only one other store: an Apple store. But the likelihood of an Apple store opening in Williston ....

Anyway, I digress.

A cold front moved through the area yesterday. It was cold. [Not "North Dakota cold." More like "San Antonio, Texas, cold.'] Because I am traveling and had not planned to stay this long in North Dakota, I have no winter clothes. But, that's great.

 A week ago I bought a pair of Sorel autumn boots at Home of Economy; not winter boots, but autumn boots; there's a difference. And I love them.

Yesterday with that cold spell I went down to Home of Economy on Million Dollar Way in Williston. I decided to go at noon when I knew it would be packed so I could enjoy my favorite sight: folks with good-paying jobs spending their money. Ha.

The store was packed. Except for the clerks and for me, everyone spoke Spanish. Some were on their cell phones, including someone talking at 78 rpm about something that sounded serious but not life-threatening.

Most were buying Carhartt. If Harold Hamm is the face of the Bakken, Carhartt is the Levi Strauss of this oil rush. The gloves and stocking caps were mostly sold out. But huge selection of winter, fire-resistant clothing. I was quite impressed.  Whoever buys for Home of Economy deserves a lot of credit. My hunch is no one buys for Home of Economy: Carhartt just drops off their truckloads as fast as they can.

There is no way to move in the clothing section at this store quickly. Every square foot is filled with clothing. [You know, reflecting on that, despite all the craziness, the stuff on the shelves was still very neat and in good order.]

I  have no idea what folks think of the prices but the Carhartt winter coat I got was $89. Up to $149 would have been expected. Leather gloves and a stocking hat and I was finished for the day.

And, as busy as they were, two things: not one customer was in a bad mood. Men generally don't like shopping, but every guy in there seemed happy; even the guy on the cell phone was courteous as we bumped into each other a couple of times.

And the women clerks -- there were probably about four -- were in a very good mood. I was impressed. No shoving, no pushing in lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment