Thursday, September 5, 2019

Notes From All Over, Part 2 -- September 5, 2019

Happy days are here again. After a 4% surge yesterday, WTI is up another 1.5% today, up about 85 cents/bbl, trading at $57.11.


Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, career, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

Background: https://themilliondollarway.blogspot.com/2019/08/anyone-not-paying-attention-is-missing.html.

Dow: up almost 500 points.

Greenspan: anticipate negative rates for US Treasuries. UNP? Paying2.4%. 52-week high: $180. Currently at $165. One-year target: $190.


SRE: profit-taking after hitting 52-week high yesterday. Pays 2.73%. At $142, with a one-year target near $150.

OXY: paying 7.3%.

F: paying 6.54%.

T: paying 5.79%.

RDS-B: paying 6.74%. Trading at $56 with a one-year target of $82. 

And many of these companies don't "dare" cutting the dividend.

***********************************
Notes to the Granddaughters

I started investing in 1984. I got the investment "bug" from my dad. He never taught me anything about investing but I saw him look at the financial page(s) of The Williston Herald every day for years and was always curious.

I remember vividly following the market starting in 1983 when the USAF assigned me to Grand Forks AFB. I marveled at the fact that companies paid dividends. I never knew that -- that companies paid dividends -- until then, when I was about 25 years old. High school taught me a lot of stuff, but no one ever mentioned dividends, or maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention. I remember talking to my dad about that time, that shares paid "interest." He always corrected me. Dividends, not interest.

At the time I probably didn't know that the government taxed income from dividends either, but that's fine.

I also marvel at self-made investment billionaires like Warren Buffett. To think he and I started about the same time and invested for about the same number of years. His net worth probably increases by my annual net worth every minute or so. If that makes sense. One year he bought an entire railroad company (BNSF); one year I bought a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment