Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Notes From All Over, Part 2 -- February 19, 2020

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, career, travel, job, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.

Three major indices shine today (I could be wrong on some of this; news moving too quickly, but it's close):
  • Dow: up 114 points; no new record (think Boeing)
  • NASDAQ:16th new all-time high this year -- I think that's what I heard;
  • S & P 500: new all-time high; three consecutive days, though yesterday was very, very close;
Coronavirus, February 18, 2019, data:
  • total deaths, change in total deaths, day-over-day: at 7%; 
  • we were flat-lined at 15%, early February
  • then, 12 - 13%, day-over-day, February 6 - February 12;
  • then, down to 10%, February 13 - February 14; at 9% on February 15
  • now, 6 - 7% for the past three days, February 16 - February 18;  
Coronavirus, February 18, 2019, data:
  • total deaths, change in daily deaths, day-over-day: at 39%
  • after three days of 0% and negative changes as deep as 26%, we now have a big jump in daily deaths, day-over-day;
  • having said that, the raw numbers are still relatively low
*********************************
The Debates

I never watch political debates. I might tune in at the beginning to just see the spectacle, but I don't hang around long enough to actually hear a question in its entirety or an answer in its entirety.

Tonight, I tuned in to see the candidates walk on stage, and listen intermittently to the first-question sequence. I had dropped Olivia off at soccer practice and was watching on Spectrum TV on the laptop in McDonald's. I saw part of one short response from Mike Bloomberg. I then moved on to something else.

But, having just seen that one segment, my thought: Bloomberg did very, very poorly.

After bringing Olivia home, I rushed home to see cable network analysis, and check out the voting on Drudge. Interestingly, the first thing I heard: a) Bloomberg really did very, very badly; and, b) Biden did surprisingly well.

I didn't hear a thing from Biden (or most of the others) so I can't comment on them, but Bloomberg seemed awful. And that's what cable network talking heads said.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Other notes:
  • Bernie and Bloomberg are the same age: 78 years old (I did not know that);
  • Bernie said he won't release his medical records (I just heard that earlier today);
  • Both have history of "heart attacks," apparently. We all knew about Sanders'. I was not aware of Bloomberg's. 
  • Both have stents placed. Sanders suggested both have "two stents" placed. (I certainly did not know that).
Homes (not verified, but credible source):
  • Bloomberg: 11
  • Bernie: three homes; link here;
Boats (not verified, but credible source):
  • Bloomberg: six boats, five of them are yachts
  • Bernie: one 
Best line, 24 hours later:
"If you like the DMV, you are going to love Medicare-for-all."

2 comments:

  1. Didnt watch it, but my take on Joe's performance was it was ok, mainly because the crowd had Bloomberg to snipe at and Biden managed to keep his own mouth shut for most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed reply. I went to bed early. I'm home alone and responsible for all the driving for three granddaughters, and the day of granddaughter-Uber driving starts early.

      I am really getting a kick out of reading the after-debate reviews. More later, on the blog.

      Delete