Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Notes From All Over, Part 1 -- July 31, 2019

I got off to a late start so I'm going to be playing catch-up all day, and I have a very, very busy "family day" on top of everything else. So, you all may be on your own. Good luck to all.

Again, be sure to see this post. I hope to be able to come back to it to add my two cents worth.

The debates: last night. I didn't watch. Haven't listened to reviews. I can't "not see" the Drudge teasers but that's all I know ... except that at least one person on the stage is a real crackpot -- which just goes to show that American remains a land of huge opportunity.

Michelle: a non sequitur; but the previous note made me think of Michelle. I am still betting on diva ex machina at the DNC convention.

********************************
Three Big Stories Today

The Fed.
EAI weekly crude oil data: link here.
The market.

****************************
The Market

It would be interesting to see how Jim Cramer spins his story today. He led the charge -- at least as far as I could tell from snippets on the internet, not on television -- that:
2Q19 earnings would be ugly
time to get out of AAPL (and then he change to "better than expected" just before numbers released)
That's my take; I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this one.

But for the millennial non-investors: all three major indices are "up" today -- misspoke -- just checked -- S&P 500 just went red, but essentially flat right now.
  • Dow: up 30 points
  • NASDAQ: up 18 points
    • AAPL: up around 4.5%; up around $10/share
    • AMGN: up around 3.7%; up around $6.50/share
    • QCOM: up slightly
    • D: down
    • SRE: flat
    • MDU: up
    • UNP: down a dime 
    • XLNX: down 3.5%; bummer
    • EW: down, but essentially flat
    • CVX: down, but essentially flat, somewhat of a surprise
    • COP: ditto



No comments:

Post a Comment