Wednesday, October 14, 2015

EIA's Short-Term Energy And Winter Fuels Outlook -- October 14, 2015

Released last week, this screenshot is from EIA's short-term energy and winter fuels oulook:


*******************************
Notes For The Granddaughters

I have finally finished John Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I didn't outline it in the conventional fashion but annotated it well enough to be able to go back and read it again, to see things I missed the first time. I do believe that seeing the movie resulted in my liking the book that much more. I would argue that Tinker is on my list of top ten movies. At the moment, it is #1, although it could quickly fall to #2 behind Birdman. [Casablanca, #1 for so many years, is still on the top 10 list, but could fall off if I don't watch it again. And soon.]

Having finished that book, I am ready to move on. Of course, I'm always reading a book on science. The current one is Atom: An Odyssey From The Big Bang To Life on Earth ... And Beyond. The title is perhaps a bit pretentious. I started reading the book some time ago -- on one of my cross-country trips, I suppose -- but never finished it. I accidentally purchased a second copy and told our older granddaughter she could donate it to her school library. It was then that she told me she was a member of the school's Library Club, or as my wife now tells me, "Oh, yes, that's her 'book club.'" I was not aware she was a member of the Library Club. I knew she was in math club and science club -- I guess the math club is a sprout off the science club -- but did not know she was also in the Library Club. And she's first chair, flute, in the middle school band, something she has become very competitive about, and will fight to keep first chair.

I would know none of this except driving her to school daily, and taking her to water polo practice twice a week, etc., things come out in dribs and drabs as they say in the Midwest.

But, again, back to the subject at hand. As I was saying, I finished Tinker and ready to move on. I am falling back into my Hemingway phase. I am re-reading Islands in the Stream and annotating that also, something I did not do the first time I read the book. I don't remember much about the book except that I recall that I did not like it. I'm re-reading it a second time to see why I should have liked it. To accompany it, I am eager to read a Gellhorn-related book, and on my shelves I have found a brand-new copy of Selected Letters of Martha Gellhorn, c. 2006. I bought it years ago from Half-Price Bookstores so I assume I bought it when we lived in San Antonio some years ago. $14.98.

Five pages into the book and I'm eager to watch Midnight in Paris, again.

And, yes, MIP is on my top ten movie list, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment