Monday, October 5, 2020

Shout-Out To Amazon -- Technology In General -- October 5, 2020

Trump: this technology is amazing. In addition to tweeting text, President Trump is now tweeting videos. This must drive the mainstream media mad. Mainstream media can spin the story any way they want, but when one can see live video of the president any time, anywhere. it allows me to see things unfiltered.

Distance learning: one of the very, very positive things to come out of Covid-19 and distance learning -- parents can be much, much more involved with education of their children. They can see what their children are being taught -- at all levels. Parents can now be "in the classroom" if they want to see their children's teachers in action. Good, bad, or indifferent, we're going to see a lot of YouTube videos on this phenomenon.

For me it's awesome. We got a note from Sophia's teacher yesterday, Sunday, telling us that that first graders would be studying magnets in science and counting by 2s, 5s and 10s in arithmetic. Sophia and I have been working on counting by 5s and 10s for about two months: coins and the abacus. And now her class is doing this. Great positive feedback. I did not know about counting by 2s -- we started adding that last night.

Magnets? Just ordered a magnet education kit for Sophia for $13 over on Amazon. Will arrive this week. When she's done with it, it will be donated to her school or to TutorTime. 

I never understood electricity -- I blame it on my high school physics teacher. Chemistry, just the opposite. Incredibly good high school chemistry teacher. He probably did more for me in my career choices than any other adult at that time. I certainly never understood the connection between electricity and magnets. Sophia and I have worked electricity snap-on education kits for the past two or three years, but never thought of magnets. And had it not been for distance learning, I never would have thought of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment