Monday, November 12, 2018

The Energy, Market, And Political Page, T+6 -- November 12, 208

Much lower than normal? Switch to coal? How did this happen. Hasn't global warming been with us since 1994? From twitter:

It turns out that this was "predicted" just a couple of months ago (actually this issue has been written about for quite some time) but this article spelled it out in very, very simple English. From spaceweatherarchive:

Sept. 27, 2018: The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and the sun’s ultraviolet output has sharply dropped. New research shows that Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding. 
 “We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center.
“High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold.”
Memories: when assigned to Langley AFB some years ago, I drove past NASA's Langley Research Center at least once almost every week.

FWIF: CO2 emissions.

Bjorn Lomborg is linked at the sidebar at the right.

From twitter:

FWIW: China is more than doubling its CO2 emissions and gets "waivers" from UN because it's a developing nation. India is almost doubling its CO2 emissions. The good news: CO2 apparently doesn't cross international borders if one listens to Algore, et al.

Hillary Will Run -- WSJ Op-Ed

Updates

November 16, 2018: In the "original post," I wrote:
There's one glaring omission in this op-ed. And that's the real reason this op-ed came out when it did.
The reason for the op-ed at this point in time: to take the wind out of "Beto's" sail. Obviously the writers are smart enough to know the "Beto" story. The fact that they did not even mention "Beto" speaks volumes [Sir Arthur Conan Doyle / Sherlock / The Hound of the Baskervilles]. 

I've always said that if something doesn't make sense, follow the money. In this case, it made no sense that the writers did not mention the extraordinary run by Beto O'Rourke. But it makes sense if one follows the money.

Where did $100 million in campaign money go in the 2018 midterm elections? To Beto O'Rourke, most coming from out of state, and probably most of that from California. 

Hillary was unexpectedly upended by a charismatic young male a decade ago. Let's say for argument's sake, Hillary is serious about another campaign run. Wow, déjà vu all over again. Just when she thought she was the Democratic front-runner, out of nowhere comes another almost-junior-senator from Texas. She can't let this get out of hand. 

That's the reason for the timing of this op-ed now. This is letting Democratic donors know that Hillary is still in the hunt and thoughts of donating to Beto are ill-placed. 

If this op-ed had not been choreographed with Hillary's approval, the writers would have definitely examined the "Beto" factor. Hillary (and these writers) are hoping that by completely publicly ignoring "Beto" they can leave him dead in the water. 

Beto is now everything Hillary is not. 

A Hillary-Beto ticket? I wouldn't bet against it.  

Original Post 

This is the problem with mainstream media. This headline "story" is seen by many to be an op-ed (or worse, a news story) by the Wall Street Journal. In fact, once you see who wrote it, it becomes a non-story but incredibly fun to parse.

The writers' thesis: Hillary is so egomaniacal she will run again.

The writers:  Mr. Penn was a pollster and senior adviser to Bill and Hillary Clinton from 1995-2008. Mr. Stein is a former Democratic Manhattan borough president and president of the New York City Council.

Observations, comments, opinions follow.

The Clintons are so powerful and vindictive, no one would pen an article like this, especially for a newspaper like the WSJ, without approval from the Clintons.

This reads like a paid political announcement.

It comes out just as the Clintons begin a speaking tour.

Purpose of speaking tour:
  • raise money
  • jump-start presidential bid
  • measure support
  • suck oxygen out of the room
Democrats had a pretty good 2018 mid-term election without any Clinton support. 

It is released almost immediately after the mid-terms. The 2020 presidential campaign begins.

In fact, had she been on the campaign trail, the midterm results would have likely been much different.

Stamina? Hillary's retort: if FDR could do it from a wheelchair, I can do it. 

There's one glaring omission in this op-ed. And that's the real reason this op-ed came out when it did. That omission will be posted later. It's always interesting to let folks think about it. I've told one reader in an e-mail what that omission is. 

Again, the comments are almost as entertaining as the article. I read through about a hundred of them and almost all missed the glaring omission, also. I think only one person mentioned the glaring omission and that was after I posted my comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment