Friday, February 3, 2012

Williston Exploration -- The Williston Basin, North Dakota, USA

It's funny how things work out. One of my "30-Second Activities" I do with my 8-y/o granddaughter is "word of the day." It started a few weeks ago when we got up early to see snow falling in Boston. It was pre-dawn, just before she would see the "rose fingers of dawn" which is one of her favorite phrases. The barren trees were black against grey hills covered with about an inch or so of new snow. That was when I introduced her to "surreal" and "surrealistic."

A chemistry experiment introduced her to "siphon."

Two days ago it was "serendipity." (There must be something about "s" words.)

I say all that to finally get to the story. The following is an example of serendipity, I suppose. Not perfect, but close enough.

A couple days, while posting the summary of the January 27, 2012, daily activity report, I saw an entry for Williston Exploration. I was not familiar with the company (I had forgotten that I had posted a permit back in 2009 for American Exploration), so I was going to look it up, and then forgot.

This morning I got a note from a reader that reminded me I needed to look up Williston Exploration.

According to the NDIC (well search function) Williston Exploration has one permit:
  • 18216, DRL, Williston Exploration, Vanvig 1, wildcat, section 28-138-102; according to the scout ticket, this well is targeting the Tyler formation in Billings County and will be a vertical well. It was spud 7/27/11. 
Somewhere on this blog I have a commentary about how one well can make the difference for some companies. This would be one of those examples. Wishing the company good luck.

Speaking of "s" words, I will have to see if my granddaughter is familiar with supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Which I believe has something to do with expedited fracking of huge California wells. Or not.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce, any thoughts regarding the Dickinson press and Bismarck tribune articles this morning about Chesapeake energy possibly moving their 2 rigs out of ND?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten around to posting all the new stories today; still catching up from yesterday.

      This is the link to the story:

      http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/55176/

      My first impression: this will make the Dickinson Press and at least one writer for the Bismarck Tribune happy.

      Delete