Friday, May 21, 2010

Focus on Dore, North Dakota

NuStar has an oil-loading facility in Dore, North Dakota, shipping oil on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) to St James, Louisiana. 

When I first printed that story, I did not know where Dore was. I had never heard of Dore, North Dakota. This morning, with nothing better to do (with the price of oil in free fall) I decided to find Dore on Google maps.

Dore is located on the road between my home town, Williston, North Dakota, and Fairview, Montana. I have driven that road hundreds of times, often with my dad, sometimes by myself. I never recalled going through Dore. Thinking that Google might be "off" a bit, I checked Mapquest: same result.

Dore is just a few miles north of Fairview on state highway 58, about 30 miles southwest of Williston.

Both Google and Mapquest have satellite images of Dore. From what I can tell there are a few rural, as in farmyard, buildings but that's it. If there's a post office, grocery store, or bar, I would be surprised. Okay, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bar there.

But the BNSF track does run parallel with the state highway 58 so an oil-loading facility there is entirely plausible.

When googling "Dore, North Dakota," one gets four hits.  Two of the hits are "maps" (Google and Mapquest).  The most interesting hit is:  "How can I sell my timeshare in Dore, North Dakota -- How to get rid..."

Who would have guessed? Time-shares in Dore.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I've been looking for Dore info and having a hard time... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments.

    I started this blog simply as a means of keeping up with the Bakken; it's amazing how much I have learned.

    It's been a lot of fun.

    I'm in Williston this week; maybe I will have to drive out to Dore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never did get down to Dore. I just ran out of time.

    My biggest regret: not visiting the Powder Keg in Fairview, Montana, a second time.

    ReplyDelete