July 23, 2018: another Tarpon Federal permit, #35183; see below;
January 28, 2017: huge jump in production after neighboring well fracked;
June 15, 2015: random update of the locations of Whiting's fourteen (14) Tarpon Federal wells (Sand Creek and Twin Valley), with graphics.
March 18, 2015: random update of five (5) Tarpon Federal wells still on the confidential list but producing.
More to follow: in 2Q14 earnings report, WLL: Tarpon Well Completed in 2nd Bench of Three Forks Flowing 6,071 BOE/d. Not a record in the Bakken -- see Statoil's #23992. But still, this is huge for the second bench.
Statoil reported an IP of 5,417 on September 26, 2013: #23992, Beaux 18-19 7H, Banks oil field. Based on its IP for natural gas (9,663), this well had an IP of 7,083 boepd.
Statoil reported an IP of 5,387 on July 19, 2013: #23387, Beaux 18-19 4H, Banks oil field. This might be a new record (this is the IP for crude oil only). A reader wrote: "I'm not a big fan of IP numbers, but the Statoil Beaux wells are noteworthy. The 4H with the IP of 5,387 barrels of oil also had a gas volume of 9484 MCF. If you value the gas (methane and NGLs) at $6 per MCF and oil at $90 per barrel, the BOE would be 632 making the BOEPD for this well just over 6,000. These wells are just east of the Continental Resources high-density multi-zone drilling units."
The initial production of any well, self-reported by the producer, is becoming less meaningful over time. Having said that, it looks like the record IP for a Bakken well is now 5,200, a Newfield well (July, 2011): 18691, 5,200, NFX, Wisness Federal 152-96-4-2H, Westberg, Bakken.
Statoil reported on July 10, 2013: 23385, 5,070, Beaux 18-19 6H, Banks, t6/13; cum -- ; 7 days to drill the lateral; I did not see completion data; 31 swell packers planned;
Two earlier wells: a Whiting well which had an IP of 4,761 boepd: file #17612, 4,761 boepd IP, Whiting, Maki 11-27H, Mountrail County, Sanish field. This is still current as of February 20, 2010. Since then, BEXP claims to have set a record with the Sorenson 29-32 1-H, #18654, with a 24-hour flowback of 5,133 bopd. However, the NDIC reported an IP of 2,944. BEXP also reported the Jack Cvancara 19-18 #1H (this site is down) in the Ross project area with a 24-hour flowback of 5,035.
New record in the Bakken, November 3, 2011. The Tarpon Federal 21-4H is a Whiting Petroleum operated well and had a 24-hour initial production (IP) rate of 7,009 barrels of oil equivalent (BOE), setting a new Williston Basin record for a Bakken well.
Whiting said this was a record TFS well at the time, early 2012, file #20526, Smith 34-12TFH, 2,446, 102K in first 4.5 months.
*******************************************IPs and production updates for Whiting's Tarpon Federal wells in Sand Creek and Twin Valley oil fields in the Bakken:
- 35773, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-2TFHU,
- 35772, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-3H
- 35771, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-3TFH,
- 35770, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-4H,
- 35769, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-4TFH,
- 35768, loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-5H
- 35193, conf--> loc, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 34-20-3H, Sand Creek,
- 29200, 2,468, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-3RTF, Sand Creek, t2/15; cum 133K 5/18;
- 29199, 3,238, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-1RH, Sand Creek, 30 stages, 3.7 million lbs, t2/15; cum 181K 5/18;
- 28496, 2,959, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 24-20-3RTF, Sand Creek, 62 stages, 2.5 million lbs, t1/15; cum 167K 5/18;
- 28495, 3,606, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 24-20-2RH, Sand Creek, 90 stages, 3.5 million lbs, t1/15; cum 171K 5/18;
- 28494, 3,125, Tarpon Federal 24-20-2RTF, Sand Creek, sundry form says "Middle Bakken," 30-stage, NOS, producing, strange production profile; 32K first month (12/14); 285 bbls second month; t12/14 cum 143K 5/18;
- 28493, 3,444, Tarpon Federal 24-20-1RTF, Sand Creek, Three Forks B1, a strange production profile; 32K first month (12/14); 285 bbls second month; t12/14; cum 167K 5/18;
- 28492, 4,371, Tarpon Federal 24-20-1H, Sand Creek, a strange profile, 42K first month (12/14); 378 bbls second month; t12/14; cum 233K 5/18;
- 27413, 3,131, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19TFHU, Sand Creek, Three Forks B1, 37 stages, 3.9 million lbs, t2/15 cum 176K 5/18;
- 22554, 2,274, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-1RTF, Sand Creek, "R" for revised, not re-entry; sundry form says target is "Bakken," NOS; 30 stages, 3.2 million lbs, t2/15; cum 195K 5/18; off-line much of the time;
- 22555, 3,259, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-199-2RTF, Sand Creek, one sundry form had Three Forks typed in, but it was inked out and replaced with Bakken, the original permit also showed "Bakken"; 30 stages, 3.5 million lbs, t2/15; cum 151K 5/18; off-line much of the time;
- 22556, 2,967, Whiting, Tarpon Federal 44-19-2RH, Sand Creek, 30 stages, 3.9 million lbs, t2/15; cum 328K 5/18;
- 27126, 2,894, HRC, Fort Berthold 148-95-23D-14-7, Eagle Nest, 48 stages, 4.9 million lbs; a nice well, choked back?; t2/15; cum 240K 10/16;
- 22361, 4,971, Tarpon Federal 21-4-3H, t12/12, Twin Valley;
- cum 567K 5/18;
- 22360, 1,394, Tarpon Federal 21-4-1H, t12/12, Twin Valley; t12/12; cum 255K 5/18;
- 20589, 4,815, Tarpon Federal 21-4H, t10/11, Twin Valley, t10/11; cum 623K 5/18;