Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Ranting -- Off The Net For A Hour Or So -- Biking -- August 15, 2023

Locator: 45470CMCSA.

From Reuters today: doing what twenty (plus or minus, LOL)  past US presidents couldn't do ... I guess, until President Biden came along ... IRA ... link here .... but Jeff Bezos is working to get that price even lower ..... 



Having said that, it's still beyond me ... how a country as wealthy as the US is can't afford to provide insulin free-of-charge at least to those under the age of 18 and then highly subsidized once one is in the workforce. 

I guess one needs to be a pediatrician or a parent of a diabetic child to see this. But then again, maybe that's just me.

Personally, I find it criminal. Speaking of which, I assume criminals in prison receive their insulin free-of charge. 

By the way, speaking of which -- free things -- basic internet connectivity, basic electricity, and basic water should also be free. I wonder how much it would "run me" if we provided those benefits ... I wonder if anyone has run the numbers? With AI we have the ability to sort all of this out. Just saying. 

This will be a much bigger issue once 100% of all cars sold in the US are EVs.

**********************
Biking

It's hard to believe but at age 72, I still bike "everywhere." I drive only when biking really isn't an option. Five miles / day max, average  = 2,000 miles / year / 30 mpg = 60 gallons of gasoline / year = $245 in gasoline / year. Okay. Per year.

*********************
Barron's This Week

CMCSA looks like a "winner."

Quick: where / how did Comcast start? Hint: sort of like Walmart.

I'll post the screenshots later.

The question for me: do I buy more? Does it meet my criteria? 


Yup.  

I've added CMCSA to those companies I continue to hold/add. I'm just not sure what bucket in which to place CMCSA: big cap-high div-BRK-like, or tech.  If I put it in the former, I can buy more, sooner. Yup, that's where it will go. Not a new position; just accumulating. Not a recommendation. Just a comment / observation / something for the blog.

On another note, look what it owns: see screenshot, later. I had completely forgotten what this company owns.

Oh, yes, Comcast started out as a small cable company based in Tupelo, MS. That place sounds familiar.

***************************
The Book Club

Hitch-22: A Memoir, Christopher Hitchens, c. 2010.

I'm not sure I will like the book; we'll see. But when he was alive and writing, he rivaled Rush Limbaugh for loyal readers (Rush had listeners; Hitchens had readers). Both were at the top of their respective pyramids. Both passed way, way too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment