Friday, October 4, 2013

Seven (7) New Permits -- The Williston Basin, North Dakota, USA

Active rigs: 183 (trending down)

Seven (7) new permits --
  • Operators: Hess (3), Emerald Oil (3), MRO
  • Fields: Hawkey (McKenzie), Sheep Butte (McKenzie), Reunion Bay (Mountrail)
  • Comments:
Wells coming off the confidential list were posted earlier today; see sidebar at the right.

It was my understanding that the government shutdown could/would affect all drilling activity on Federal land. I don't know if that means "active" rigs will become inactive in much of Dunn County, on the reservation. It sounds like even "the big guys" don't know what will be shut down and what will not be affected. And folks used to take me to task for being worried about federal fracking permits. The link takes you to a Rigzone article in which it sounds like the federal shutdown will have minimal effect OFFSHORE (short term) and most affect ONSHORE activities, but not much more specifics.

Sheep Butte is a very small field (only 9 sections) in central-west McKenzie County. Half of the field is under US Forest Service management (National Grasslands). This whole area is pretty much void of any oil activity.

The graphic below is from the NDIC GIS map server. The area in grey is under US Forest Service management (with every federal government website closed down, the NDIC map is nice to have). This is about 25 miles southwest of Watford City.




By the way:
  • 7648, 60/PNA ANR Production Company, USA 22-24, a Red River well, t12/80; cum 120K 8/92. Just think, I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up in North Dakota and this Red River well in the National Grasslands was never mentioned once.

4 comments:

  1. I can't use the NDIC map server with my iPad , it seem like you can. Can you help me with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. The NDIC GIS map server, at least on the version of the iPad I have, is almost impossible to use on the iPad. I haven't used the iPad for the map in a long, long time. I'm really sorry; if I could help you, I would. In earlier notes, I talked about the iPad all the time. That was when I was doing a lot of traveling and my only mobile device was an iPad.

      Subsequently, my family bought me a MacBook Pro as a gift about two years ago, and now that's all I use (except in morning I read RBN Energy post before getting out of bed).

      But the NDIC map was almost impossible for me to to use on the iPad.

      Delete
    2. Thanks , now I know it's not just me. Really enjoy your site, been reading from the beginning. WHS '66

      Delete
    3. I love the iPad, but I was really frustrated with regard to the NDIC GIS map server. If I knew how to do "apps" for the iPad I would have worked on a solution. But I will have to wait for my ten-year-old granddaughter to teach me how to build apps for mobile devices.

      Thank you for taking time to write. I really appreciate it.

      Delete