Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Locator: 47061ARCHIVES. 

Note: a reader sent me a comment to an earlier post. The blogger app, for some unknown reason, was unable to post my reply, so I've posted the reply in the body of the post at the original post, in case the reader is looking for a reply.

Four hours of uninterrupted reading and blogging. The book today: Washington Irving. Yeah, that one.

Curious. Eggs. Link here. Same price as in 2015, and way lower than what eggs were costing back on January 23, 2023. By the way, bacon according to FRED is about $6.50 pound. Spam, locally, is about $5.75 / pound (12-oz tins). I get at least six servings of Spam from one tin -- may push it to eight servings -- for breakfast, along with my one homemade waffle (which must cost me all of 20 cents per waffle) ..... for the Spam ... $5.75 / 6 = $1.00 / serving. Breakfast at home? About $2 on the high side at home. At First Watch -- I would get a whole lot more, including "Million Dollar Bacon" and a Bloody Mary and it would cost me $20+? Before tip?

  • Local, First Watch, outstanding restaurant, on line, if ordering:
    • breakfast: $12.89.
    • million dollar bacon: $5.49
    • Bloody Mary: not priced on line; I assume it's in the $8.99 range in-restaurant
    • tip: our standard tip is $20 for meals costing between $20 and $60; I pay the restaurant bill with credit card; leave tip in cash.

Where's Waldo?


GALP
:

To put this in perspective: the Bakken holds at least 50 billion bbls, probably much more depending on demand, technology, government policies. To date: 5 billion bbls. One billion bbls every 2.5 years. With 35 active rigs. 

Natural gas consumption, link here:

Home sales, link here:

Amazon, grocery delivery, link here:

Cleveland-Cliffs blooper, link here. Cliffs was the darling of CNBC talking heads just a few weeks ago. I stayed away. Hasn't paid a dividend since 2020 (needs to be fact-checked). CEO must know something we don't know -- using debt to buyback more shares. Interesting to compare CLF with BRK-B over "max" time period.

Flight: this was the least I've paid for cross-country air transportation in a very, very long time. Incredibly inexpensive. Last year about this time I paid about $450; this year, under $325. Round trip. Must have caught a good week. Starting in May, tickets really go up in price. This should be the last time I fly until next October, or thereabouts.

DOJ knows best: Spirit Airlines and JetBlue ended merger talks when federal judge ruled against the merger. We talked about this before. Government said the merger would result in higher ticket prices for fliers. Spirit is at risk of bankruptcy and JetBlue is doing so well its share price plummeted 16% today. Of course, the CEOs of the four -- or is it three --  largest US carriers will be opening the champagne bottles this weekend if two discount airlines go out of business.

******************************
Disclaimer -- Briefly

Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market, I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.

See disclaimer. This is not an investment site.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. 

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. 

Again, all my posts are done quickly. There will be typographical and content errors in all my posts. If any of my posts are important to you, go to the source.

Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market, I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.

3 comments:

  1. Spam? I'm betting you can afford to eat a "little higher on the hog"! Last time I tried it was over 50 years ago. This stuff will help you to an early grave, or so I think.... https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-spam-healthy#sodium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything in moderation. But that does remind me of an interesting story. Years ago, our medical unit (physicians and nurses) were out training with US Marines. Most of the young enlisted marines smoked cigarettes. The nurses were -- think Margaret Houlihan on MASH -- quite appalled and wanted us to talk to them about the hazards of smoking. I reminded the nurses that cigarettes were probably the safest thing they did as marines.

      I'll get hit by a bus before Spam kills me.

      Delete
  2. Good story! Only problem is that the effects of smoking linger a lot longer than the average Marine enlistment (even though "once a Marine always a Marine"), But at the time, you were exactly right~ Since Marines are, first and foremost, riflemen they have one of the toughest jobs in the world. More power to them (and maybe a bit more loot too)!

    ReplyDelete