Trump: One Year Later
Predictions one year ago when President Trump was elected president, and how it turned out:
- NYC tourism office said his election would cost the city 300,000 visitors; in fact, NYC foreign tourism will likely rise 3.6% this year;
- finance expert (and the term is used loosely) Steve Rattner foresaw "a market crash of historic proportions"; in fact, since his election, the global markets have added $26 trillion
- Moody warned of a "weaker" economy, saying 2% GDP was the best we could hope for; in fact, looking at 3% or more for Trump's full quarters
- other doomsayers
- Mark Cuban
- CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin
- Bridgewater Associates
- Macroeconomic Advisers
- Nobel-winning economist Paul Krugman, walked back his earlier doomsday prediction, saying "a global recession with no end in sight"
- in fact:
- the Dow has climbed more than 25% since Hilary Clinton conceded
- the first two full quarters of Trump's term both saw growth of 3% or more
- predictions that ObamaCare enrollment would plummet; it didn't; a record number of people signed up in the first few days; the first day, 200,00 sign-ups, twice last year's number, and more than 1 million visited healthcare.gov versus 750,000 in 2016
As for all the noise about fascism and tyranny: Trump has scrupulously obeyed the law, even as judges came up with unprecedented legal theories to strike down his “travel ban” executive orders.