Monday, August 6, 2012

How Strong Is the Oil Boom in North Dakota?

Note: see first couple of comments before reading.

The Grand Forks Herald has a very nice op-ed piece on the strength of the oil industry in western North Dakota. It follows a conference at the Energy and Environmental Research Center at the University of North Dakota (EERC/UND).  This is incredible library and one I have alluded to many, many posts ago. I have not visited the EERC but it sounds like a state treasure. Visiting the center is on my short list of things to do, although it would take some coincidental scheduling for it to happen.

The author reiterated what readers of this blog have known for quite some time: this oil boom will last decades barring any major geopolitical event that could bring it to a jarring halt. 

But the author also noted a few things that grabbed my attention (direct quotes from the article follow):
  • Electricity needs in some areas are so enormous that officials even are talking about bringing in a modular nuclear reactor to generate power.
  • The drilling rigs’ thirst for water is such that officials also are talking about running a pipe from Devils Lake [to western North Dakota].
  • Paraphrasing: Every town in the western region could double in size. 
I agree with all of that. But I must be missing something with regard to water. Knowledgeable sources say that the water needed for fracking represents less than one percent (or was it one-tenth of one percent) of the flowing Missouri River. "Flowing" is stressed. In addition, General Electric has announced technology that could significantly reduce need for water.

[I never did finish this piece that was started a long time ago but I will post it as is.]

2 comments:

  1. Is that link to the GF Herald really the one you wanted to post? It goes to opinion piece from 2010 that requires a newspaper subscription to access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other night I was going through my list of posts that I had not posted. I put a lot of them in draft status for various reasons.

      For some reason I never finished the original post (above).

      Links to regional media often break/require a subscription after a few months; that's why I include a bit of a summary of the link.

      I'm glad you reminded me this was taken from an op-ed published back in 2010 -- I had forgotten that.

      There is some interesting archival information in the post above, and a reminder about the EERC.

      Delete