Sunday, February 6, 2011

Power Grid of the United States

This is an excellent interactive link to the power grid of the United States.

Once there you can view state-by-state power generation. One view includes all the power plants in each state. The map is cluttered but you can use the drop-down menu to sort by coal, natural gas, nuclear, wind, and solar.

I could be wrong, but the state-by-state power graphic is a summary of what the state produces, not what it consumes. For example, California produces almost no electricity from coal, but that doesn't mean California residents don't use electricity generated from coal. In fact, a fair amount of California electricity comes from coal plants outside the state.

You don't have to book mark the link; I have it linked under my "Data Links" tab at the top of the blog.

Yes, you can tell I am not doing much while waiting for the Super Bowl. But in my defense, I have read another chapter of Ron Powers' biography of Mark Twain, and have re-read the first three chapters of the memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant this afternoon. I find it fascinating how Mark Twain and Ulysses S. Grant seemed to live in parallel universes as contemporaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment