Friday, July 20, 2018

The Market, Energy, And Political Page, T+50 -- July 20, 2018

Politics: wow, I love this president. The first one since Teddy Roosevelt, I think, who actually seems to be very, very comfortable "in his skin," as they say. He doesn't seem to have a need to have speech writers write everything for him. He remains spontaneous, speaks his mind, gives folks "something to talk about." Never a dull moment. I don't know. It seems better that we have the leaders of the two countries with the largest nuclear arsenals to actually be talking face-to-face. Sometimes I think folks have forgotten the Cold War of the 1950s. Just rambling.


Natural gas. I don't know what others are thinking, but I think this graphic is incredibly remarkable. If this was under a different administration and/or if it was a snapshot taken a decade ago, one would think the problem is lack of production, but today, the US has record amounts of production, and record amount of reserves, and yet, the EIA forecasts the natural gas "injection" will hit a new low this autumn. Absolutely amazing. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's that third potline that Alcoa will be re-starting later this summer. I don't know. Just rambling.



Thought experiment: one of the things I enjoy most when driving the granddaughters to various events, is to try to "step out of my body," and look at the world from a distance, our "place in the universe" as it were. I find it absolutely remarkable all the life forms and all the color compared to the rest of the universe. There seems to be a huge jump from what we see on Mars or Venus or Pluto to what we see on earth. And there doesn't seem to be any examples of anything "in between." It's almost an "all or nothing" phenomenon.

4 comments:

  1. Clark James CrawfordJuly 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM

    Interesting thought experiment. Life is a self-assembling machine. Selection creates a system that works against entropy and builds things of complexity. Thus you get all sorts of colors. Rain forest birds and their crazy mating rituals produce the most extreme of this. Earth's a pretty great little place!

    I'm continually baffled by enthusiastic Trump support, I wish I understood it. Scott Adam's latest book didn't work on me. Apologetics looks quite different than honest inquiry. I plan on sticking around for the aftermath in the coming decades and I for one enjoy the roughly 30% of wealth America benefits from by being the world's reserve currency.

    Here's a thought experiment: A key component of leadership is leading by example. I can't imagine the type of person that wants their kid to grow up to behave like DJT. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment(s). Thank you.

      1. What amazes me is not the "complexity" of the universe per se, but rather the gap. I can "see" the "progression" (for lack of a better word) from a sea urchin to a monkey, but the gap between a monkey and the human seems infinitely wider. Likewise, I can see the gap between Pluto and Mars, but the gap between Mars and Earth is infinitely wider. There seems to be a lot of "missing pieces" between Mars and Earth; between monkeys and humans. That's what fascinates me.

      2. Yes, I'm sure most folks -- on both sides of the aisle -- are baffled by that "enthusiastic Trump support." Many wish they had "it," whatever "it" is. From Jesus Christ and Muhammad at one end to Adolf Hitler at the other end of the continuum, to explain their enthusiastic support is truly baffling.

      3. I don't know if I can buy that a key component of leadership is "leading by example" (General Patton?). I guess it depends if one is "means" oriented, or "ends" orients. But if leading by example is a key component of leadership, that's fine. With regard to my thoughts on leadership, machts nichts. My thoughts and 50 cents will get you a "senior" cup of coffee at McDonald's.

      4. I don't care for his books, but when Scott Adams is good, he can be very, very good. But generally, he gets a bit far ahead of his headlights. As long as Scott sticks to what he knows best ("persuasion") he does well. I thought Gene Simmons' most recent book (On Power, c. 2017) reinforced some of my thoughts regarding Trump.

      5. I am always concerned the blog and/or the comments get too far astray of the "Bakken," so it's unlikely this discussion will continue. Depends.

      Delete
  2. Not a Trump fanboy but I like most of his policies. I am a fanboy of MDW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated. It's funny. I don't know if I'm a fanboy of Trump. I know I certainly come across that way on the blog. I'm simply fascinated by "the Trump phenomenon."

      I am a Fanboy of Apple. LOL.

      Thank you for your kind words regarding MDW. I'm not sure if I'm doing as well as I used to on the blog. I'm not doing as many commentaries -- not as much "analysis" per se -- now that I understand the Bakken better it seems I realize how much I don't know and I am concerned that if I get too deep into the weeds, I will show my ignorance. Again, LOL.

      Delete