Monday, June 11, 2018

Stocks In The News -- June 11, 2018 -- The Market, Energy, And Political Page -- T+11

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

EW: In all the "commotion" today, I completely missed this one. In addition to having a great day today, it is on the top ten list of stocks moving the pre-market. Trading at record highs. Don't know why. I don't follow it.


Meanwhile, SRE: after closing 15% higher in one day, is flat after-hours. My hunch: profits will be taken; the shares will drop back to $105 or less; the news that drove the 15% jump in price won't be "actionable" for two years, at best.

UNP: another incredible day. We talked about it earlier.

Dow components: I will leave it up to the reader, but when you get right down to it, the Dow (30) is an incredibly stodgy, old white man's list. The best thing the makers and shakers could do, "modernize the Dow." Maybe they are waiting for leadership at Berkshire Hathaway to change. I would remove the following and replace with any number of other great candidates: GE; HD; IBM; INTC; JNJ; KO; MRK; PG; TRV; maybe others. Maybe change 15 of the 30. Without question the S&P 500 is a better market basket to follow. So why am I "hooked" on the Dow? Maybe I need to change. S&P 500:
  • today's close: around 2,782
  • 52-week range: 2,406 - 2,873
  • up 3 points today (0.11%)
  • record high, around: 2,873
I'm gonna work really hard to start following the S&P 500. I have to get out of my rut.

Maybe this will help:
  • 1% of 2,800: 28 points
  • 1% of 25,000: 250 points but that's close enough to 28,000 or 280 points, so the ratio still holds, about 1:10
  • on the S&P 500, anything less than a 15 point-point move (up or down) is background noise
  • 15 points on the S&P 500 -- that's my new "dot" to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment