Monday, November 22, 2010

Sagebrush Madison Wells in Bottineau County -- North Dakota, USA

This is kind of interesting, and will be fun to follow. Sagebrush has a group of wells, in various stages of being spudded, completed, and planned, in Bottineau County targeting the Madison Pool, which, I believe, has produced the most oil in Williston Oil Basin since oil discovered in North Dakota in 1951.

Bottineau County is also where EOG is targeting the very shallow Spearfish formation with a group of wells, including many of the Scandia series.

The Sagebrush wells in the Renville field are a bit to the southwest of the EOG/Spearfish wells in the Souris field.

Here are the Sagebrush wells, all within a Brett Favre throwing distance of each other:
  • 19139, Erickson Et Al 1A
  • 19027, Erickson Et Al 1B, 111, reported out November 22, 2010
  • 19141, Erickon Et Al 3A
  • 19143, Erickson Et Al 2B
  • 19028, Erickson Et Al 3B
  • 19140, Erickson Et Al 4B
  • 19142, Erickson Et Al 4A
An original paragraph here, now deleted, anticipated that these were vertical wells. I have been told that they are horizontal wells; see comment below. If so, this is a most unusual grouping of wells.

*****

See comments below: to update folks -- I had originally thought 19027, Erickson Et Al 1B must have been a vertical well and my original post said that. I was wrong; someone wrote in to point out to me that the Madison wells are very shallow and the laterals are very short, see comments below. I owe someone a huge thank you.

4 comments:

  1. The NDIC shows the Erickson Et Al 1B, 19027, as a horizontal well and not a vertical. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because those are Bakken horizontals where the Bakken is about 10,000' vertically. The Madison is shallow and comes in around 3,500'. These shallow wells also have shorter laterals of about 2-3,000'. If you look at the EOG wells in the Spearfish, they are horizontal and have a TD of ~5,700'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total depth is 6,423 feet; the perfs came in at 4054 - 6423 feet. Very shallow wells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. I was wrong. You were correct. Thank you for pointing that out. I never would have expected that. I learn something new every day (often more often).

    The GIS map server confirms horizontal laterals. I really appreciate you pointing that out to me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete