Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Notes From All Over, Part 2 -- January 22, 2020

Top story: I don't watch the network news; in fact, I avoid all network/cable news as much as I possibly can.
When I want to "veg out" it's TCM --Turner Classic Movies. On the other hand, my wife watches all the network news and all the cable news. As soon as she switches to ABC News in the evening, I immediately move somewhere else in the apartment. Tonight, I was a bit slow, but was surprised to see that the impeachment hearings were not the top story. The Chinese virus was the top story. Chinese stock market in a shambles. Oil tumbling. This, too, will pass.
Egg sandwich: a huge Japanese treat for my wife and two of the granddaughters is tamagoyaki. I had not seen it called tamagoyaki before; it's always been "tamago" to me. So, I was surprised to see a feature story in The Wall Street Journal, "a most excellent egg sandwich: where to find it, how to make it." From the article:
I love the way that in Japan, there always seems to be a sandwich close at hand, neatly wrapped and ready to go.
At train stations, bakeries and the ubiquitous konbini, or convenience stores, “sandos” come filled with everything from fried pork cutlets to whipped cream and fruit, almost always on white bread with the crust cut off.
Last year, egg-salad sandos had a stateside brush with celebrity thanks to the success of Konbi, a Los Angeles sandwich shop whose konbini-inspired version became an Instagram darling. With a whole hard-boiled egg at the center, revealing a sunny circle of yolk when the sando is sliced, Konbi’s iteration is indeed photogenic. But for me the ideal sando filling is the layered and rolled style of omlelet known as tamagoyaki.
The tamagoyaki has such a supple, silky texture, and a gentle balance of savory and sweet flavors. Between two slices of sandwich bread, it’s a beautifully self-contained little package. Clearly I’m not the only one who thinks so: The tamagoyaki sando is gaining a following of its own at coffee shops and sandwich counters around the U.S.

Global warming: down to four years. According to Michael Moore we have only four years "to fix things."

Which reminds me, did you all see this headline?


Speaks volumes. The bankers aren't falling for this scam.

Impeachment: Fox News on line -- the US Senators are already getting tired, and it's only day two. LOL. McConnell knows exactly what he's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment