When you get to the link / the map, the first thing to do is zoom in on North Dakota so you can see how incredibly detailed this map really gets.
When completely "zoomed out" one is overwhelmed, seeing the entire United States.
When completely "zoomed in" one can see individual wells in North Dakota. Pretty impressive.
I have only begun to explore; do not know how useful it will be.
Over at my "Data Links" page I have the following links for "Maps and Metrics." I have not checked recently to see how many of the links have broken. But it gives newbies an idea of the amount of data available to explore:
Maps and Metrics
- US shale maps
- EIA Maps -- updated April, 2015
- EIA: US energy mapping system.
- US natural gas and crude oil storage districts, updated November 16, 2015
- GeoActivity Maps -- Canada
- GIS map server for Canada
- UND-EERC Interactive Map -- without question, one of the best! Be sure to zoom in and then click on an individual well.
- Cumulative Production of All Bakken Wells
- Cumulative Production by Formation, 2009 and 2010
- Interactive Map of All North Dakota Oil and Gas Wells
- Magic maps: map any rig, any well -- no longer working (as of ~ March, 2012)
- NOG map
- ND DOT highway projects in the Bakken - excellent
- Interactive Map of Williston, North Dakota -- password required
- Relocation Map for the US, IRS
- Search section, township at Earth Point
- All 2010 Bakken Producers (RMOJ)
- All 2009 Bakken Producers (RMOJ)
- Bakken Acreage by Driller
- CNG stations, worldwide, and prices -- BEST
- CNG - LNG Filling Station Locator
- Market Capitalization of Selected Bakken Companies
- Stratigraphic View of the Formations
- Williston airport relocation page
- Map of North Dakota Counties (Favorite)
- Map of North Dakota: Counties
- Map of North Dakota: Counties, by unemployment, January, 2015
- North Dakota Townships
- Minnesota-Wisconsin Frack Sand Map
- National Pipeline Mapping, by State and by County
- US Power Grid: excellent interactive link
- US Census: 2010
- Road Conditions: 48 Contiguous States
- Hydrology (flooding): 48 Contiguous States
- Median income, college graduation statistics by zip code
- Map of Workers Moving In, Folks Moving Out: IRS
- Labor Force Statistics
- Spearfish / Bakken wells north of the border (Canadian)
- Lake Mead: sea level