Williams County will soon have its own specially trained group of law enforcement officers armed with the skills and resources to respond to a number of different emergencies.
The sheriff’s office is forming a 20-member special operations and response team, designed to handle dangerous situations, offer help during natural disasters and even act as extra security when the need arises.
The joint effort includes members of the Williams County Sheriff’s Office, Williston Police Department, Northwest Narcotics Task Force and may extend to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
- back-up from SWAT teams out of Minot and Dickinson
- SWAT training in Idaho, Minnesota, and New Jersey (Idaho?)
- CSI: Miami, Las Vegas, NY on rolodex
- $429,000 armored vehicle designed to withstand 0.50 caliber rounds; paid for by Bismarck
- annual training and equipment: $50,000
For the archives (one can get almost any spin on crime statistics as one wants):