Largest refiner on US east coast will no longer take rail deliveries of Bakken oil.
Good, bad, or indifferent with regard to one's thoughts about pipelines, think about it: 425,000 bopd that used to be by rail through Minneapolis, Chicago, etc., will no longer go through those cities.
Reuters story with data points:
- largest refiner on US east coast: Philadelphia Energy Solutions Inc
- at its peak, took three miles' worth of trains filled with Bakken oil each day
- just five rail deliveries in May; no rail deliveries in June
- recently getting one unit train per day; one unit train: 75,000 bopd
- rail volumes in the Bakken peaked at 420,000 bopd
- DAPL begins interstate crude oil delivery May 14, 2017
- 1,172-miles long
- western North Dakota to Patoka, IL
- 450,000 bopd
- will connect to large refineries in the Nederland and Port Arthur, TX, area