Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Time For A New Poll

Results of the last poll: do you think there will be 200 active rigs in North Dakota by September 30, 2013?
  • Yes: 65%
  • No: 35%
***************************

So, time for a new poll. I don't watch network television as a rule any more. I don't have a television set in my home in San Antonio (well, actually, I do, but only used as a monitor to watch DVDs). I happen to catch network television when I'm with my family in other states, and work hard to catch sports events. If it's available, I will tune into CNBC periodically but generally turn it off if Hawaii 5-O is on. Or Remington Steele. If the latter are not showing, I have lunch.

[If I am with my granddaughters in the Boston area, I listen/don't watch CNBC from 7:15 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. while making them breakfast; but then we watch SpongeBob SquarePants together while having breakfast.]

However, without exception, I never, never watch the Hollywood award shows any more, and I no longer watch the President when he comes on. I turn the television off when he starts speaking.

I am curious how many others specifically turn off the television when the president starts talking. I don't mean "tuning him out" or checking back once in awhile to see what he's saying but whether completely turning the set off or to another channel when he's speaking.

I won't watch the State of the Union Address but I won't consider that part of the question because the State of the Union Address still has a lot of pomp and circumstance: it's an event.

So, with all that as prelude, the question is: do you, as a rule, listen to President Obama's speeches?

6 comments:

  1. I'd sooner have a root canal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a very long time I have refused to listen to this arrogant imperialistic President. It makes no difference what the event it is I will not waste my time on this administration. Fortunately there are organizations that keep a eye on them and they are more easy to read and listen to and evaluate than listening to this prez.

    It is important to know what they are up to and keep informed but I can not stand to listening to it coming from the horses mouth. It is all forked tongue double speak spoken about in "1984" by George Orwell.


    Pray this republic of ours can survive and stand the assault being imposed on it by this administration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And unlike with previous presidents, this president's reliance on teleprompters generally means there will be no "ah-ha" or "gotcha" moments. No "reality" television. Just someone reading a speech.

      Delete
  3. I did not watch GWB, BC, GHB either. Waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree in general, but at least without the teleprompter, there was more opportunity for "reality television." But, yes, I seldom watched any of those presidents, either. I guess I could see "reality television" (when President Bush tried to leave through a locked door) on YouTube.

      As you say, a tremendous waste of time.

      Delete
  4. When I was a young boy America was on a roll. We had enemies but they were on foreign shores.

    Now that we have outlasted those enemies those who like to fight have decided to take on their fellow Americans. How sad.

    I will listen to Obama just like I listened to George Bush and Ronald Regan. There have been 15 presidential elections in my lifetime and all winners have deserved my same respect as elected holders of the highest office in the greatest country to have ever existed.

    ReplyDelete