Thursday, April 2, 2020

Notes From All Over, Late Afternoon Edition -- April 2, 2020

Metrics: in addition to all the metrics we're already watching, these are the two key metrics I'm following for progress with regard to these two issues:
  • global oil, supply and demand, price: Canadian dollar
  • Wuhan flu: number of patients treated on the US Navy hospital ships berthed in NYC and in Los Angeles
Committees, US House Un-American Committee rises once again --
Breitbart is posting that the US House and Nancy Pelosi have formed a new committee -- things we need to do to keep America's mind off Joe Biden. The committee's chairwoman has a different name for that committee but that's the purpose of the committee. Check out Breitbart to learn more. Google-owned "blogger.app" will not allow links to Breitbart.
Walgreens: a huge shoutout to the customer service folks at Walgreens.com.
There was a "systemic" problem with their photo.com website. I was on chat.online for a bit of time yesterday; once we jointly worked out the problem and the solution, I was told chat.online did not have the "authority" to do what was needed. I needed to telephone customer service. 
The menu was very short; the recording said "hold times" were longer than usual. In fact, I was connected with a real human within two minutes. The customer service person was unaware of this problem, and I led her through the steps that needed to be taken, and voila, she was willing to work with me. Problem solved. I was very, very impressed. Huge shoutout to Walgreens. Is is Walgreen, Walgreens, Walgreen's or something else? Google maps calls it Walgreens, so that's what I will do -- assuming I remember.
TCM: wow, I thought I was the only watching TCM. LOL -- see this note over at PowerLine today. I did not care for TCM's line-up last night so I watched the Coen Bros No Country For Old Men. A superb movie that ages very well.

Slow cooking: I got such a kick out of the pulled pork recipe a reader sent me that when a neighbor suggested "Mississippi Roast," I immediately looked up the recipe. It's cooking now and smells delicious.

Texas schools, K-12: it's not official or announced yet, but the tea leaves suggest the Texas governor will close all public K-12 schools for the remainder of the year. Most feel that the majority of "kids" will learn more at home at this point anyway. Going back to school now would entail all kinds of restrictions, inefficiencies. etc.

April Fool's joke: the best April Fool's joke that had many families in our area absolutely discombobulated -- trying to figure how this was going to play out. One of our dearest friends either photo-shopped it herself or found the photo-shopped graphic and sent it to every e-mail address she had, including "public" social media sites, such as nextdoor.com. The background was of Fox News, with this crawler: "Texas governor will have have all K-12 students repeat the entire 2019 - 2020 school year." From the reaction I heard nearby, it sounds as if most folks fell for this practical joke.

2 comments:

  1. My cable company moved tcm to a premium package. Victim of stay at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting? Now I know now TCM makes money despite no advertising.

      Delete