Saturday, December 14, 2013

For Investors Only

I subscribe to only one publication: The Wall Street Journal. Well, that's not quite correct. I also subscribe to BloombergBusinessweek but I have no idea how that happened. I've talked about it before.  I certainly won't continue the subscription. It is incredibly .... not good.

On the other hand, though I don't subscribe to it, every time I pick up a copy that happens to by lying (laying?) around, I am truly impressed with The Economist. So much so I may actually subscribe (I pulled out a subscription insert from a copy I found over at my son-in-law's). $139/51 weeks.

This most recent issue is filled with interesting subjects, and very little fluff.

Investors may be interested in this article featured on the cover: Blackrock.  The graphic at the link of its top 20 holdings is interesting. Note what the firm's top 20 investments are in. And then note what this risk-averse firm does not hold in its top 20.

Four of the top 20 holdings are in energy (five if you include Berkshire Hathaway, which may not be far-fetched if one looks at Warren's holdings). Note the one automobile company. One "retail." But again, note what sector is not represented at all in the top 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment