Monday, July 22, 2013

Idiocy -- Nothing About The Bakken In This Post; President's Poll Numbers Plummet

This is the second time I've seen a reference to "400" by the activist environmentalists. I think I've even blogged about this meaningless number. [Later: yes, here it is -- an earlier post on "400." Wow, what a great search engine.]

This time: "400 reasons to stop pipelines." 

A small town in Quebec can probably provide more than 50 better reasons to lay pipelines in lieu of more crude-by-rail traffic. That's how many folks were killed in a freight train disaster. Countless others were seriously burned and their lives will be changed forever. And, the town itself, was destroyed.

But if you are worried about the number "400" join the activist environmentalists or donate some money to Algore. And whatever you send to Algore, match it with a contribution to the Salvation Army. The SA needs it more than Al.

***********************

Speaking of idiocy: feds will establish diversity data for every neighborhood in America. Williston is going to have a very,very, very tough time diversifying its neighborhoods based on race.  If the feds have this kind of money to spend, there's plenty of fat left to cut. By the way, the feds can easily do this: zip+four; Zillow; and, of course, O'BamaScare. Absolutely everyone in America will have to fill out census data to obtain medical care. Even if they opt out of any federally-mandated program, the first time they show up in any emergency room or clinic, they will be filling out for DHHSF-1040, revised, which will include fields for voting history, and where one's mother was born. More than likely the form will require the passwords to your on-line bank accounts.

************************

I haven't watched CNBC in quite some time. When I watch CNBC, I enjoy Squawk Box but only because of Joe Kernen. But even Squawk Box is filled with too much fluff. The rest of the day is a joke. The noon hour "power lunch" is a soporific oxymoron. Jim Cramer is a momentum trader; though if one follows him long enough, one can see he does have a balanced portfolio, if not a balanced mind. Fast Money is very, very good (except on Fridays, when it is co-opted by options traders). Kudlow drives me nuts; his guests are too fair and balanced. Too political. So when I hear that CNBC ratings are sinking, it's not surprising. Being a sister to MSNBC might explain a lot. So, it was not surprising to see a story about their only "star" suggesting she may be ready to jump ship. My hunch: she will stay with CNBC for a bigger salary. She should have learned from Erin Burnett. Does anyone even watch Ms Burnett any more. I was among her top-five fan base and I don't even look for her any more. Of course, I don't have cable.

For the record, I do not care for Ms Maria. I have only begun to tolerate her over the years because a) there's no one else to compare her to; b) Joe Kernen is only on in the morning; c) Ms Burnett is gone. The latter, without question, was the best and the brightest. And the best-looking, though most disagree with me. I assume those who disagree with me have "something for" Andrew Ross Sorkin.

**********************

On a lighter note. Last evening, at Nelson's at The Terrnea on Palos Verdes Peninsula, I had a Uinta Hop Notch -- my first ever. Wow! I was impressed. The table attendant told me I got the last bottle. Later I talked to the bartender, asking about beer favorites among his patrons. Among the IPAs, it was a toss-up between two. I believe the other was Green Flash West Coast IPA (but don't quote me on that). Be that as it may, the Uinta Hop Notch was top notch, and it was outselling West Coast (or whatever #2 was). The Uinta was incredible. I told the bartender, that after awhile all beers start tasting the same, and then one tastes a world-class beer and one's impression changes. I was very, very impressed. Unfortunately, I bet it is not easy to find Uinta Hop Notch in the Dallas area. We will see.

The only disappointment: the label says the beer was brewed with renewable energy, specifically solar and wind. But, of course, in this PC world, what would one expect.

****************************
 
President O'Bama's poll numbers plummet. McClatchy is reporting:
Stung by Americans’ persistent worries about the economy and a capital gripped by controversy and gridlock, President Barack Obama is suffering his lowest job approval numbers in nearly two years, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll.

The plummeting numbers – still higher than those of Congress – come after weeks of rising gasoline prices, revelations about domestic spying and turmoil in the Middle East.
The disappointing results come as the White House this week looks to turn the national conversation back to the economy. Obama will deliver the first of a series of speeches Wednesday aimed at offering his vision for boosting economic growth, even as the new poll found that just 37 percent of the respondents approved of his handling of the economy, while 56 percent disapproved.
Overall, the poll found Obama’s job approval at 41 percent last week, a sharp drop from April’s 50 percent and his worst showing in the poll since 39 percent in September 2011. Forty-eight percent disapproved in the latest poll, up from April’s 46 percent.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/22/197361/poll-obamas-job-approval-plunges.html#.Ue4yxFMYKfR#

No comments:

Post a Comment