Monday, December 12, 2011

Surface Owners and Offers for Pipeline Easements

Updates

September 29, 2012: Elsewhere a reader says he is being offered $150/rod for a 100-foot easement. Not surprising, he's not getting much help. At least not yet.

Original Post

The following was sent in as a comment. I have no experience in the subject and since most folks may not read the comments, I am posting the query as a stand-alone post:
As a landowner from out of state, the pipeline is to go through our land. We have been offered $75/rod but this seems little as compared to my online research as to what people have received in other states. Are others being offered the same amount? 
Please feel free to let folks know what you've been offered. It may depend on location, diameter of pipe, what the pipe will be carrying, etc., so it might help to provide specific information.

10 comments:

  1. I also live out of state and have land in Williams County. I got $45/rod this summer for oil and gas pipelines. I was assured it was 'the going rate'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking time to respond. It helps a lot of folks out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in 2010 we got 40 /rod north of stanley, nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you; this helps a lot of folks out. Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received $35/rod north of Plentywood, MT this year for one 12' crude pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like the $75/rod is a pretty good rate. Thank you for taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your advice. I guess the price per rod varies dependent upon diameter of pipeline, location, and what it carries. Although I still feel as though our surface land is appraised at similar rates as those other states and they seem to be reimbursed at a higher value for easement. If you compare TX to ND it's shocking the difference in payment. I wonder why this is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone else might know; I have no idea.

    I am really poor on details; I'm a concept person. I was lucky to have been in the military; I don't think I would have done well in the business world. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recieved $40 per rod plus damages in Dunn County for one 8 inch gas pipeline. I have heard up to $100 per rod but I dont know the details just hear say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting. The terms for the easment we were given are VERY unspecific, basically giving them the right in the future to lay more pipeline without needing our consent, leaving us out of future control or profits. Its not worth the $75 per rod we were offered.

    ReplyDelete