Friday, July 29, 2011

Great Article on Bowman, North Dakota -- The Oil Patch -- Another Perspective -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

On a day when there is only bad economic and political news (no one is writing about the wars any more, by the way, have you noticed?), I was happy to find this article which was published a couple of weeks ago.

It's a regional link and it may not be available on the net for long but it's there today and it's a nice article to read. It's was written by Deena Winter who grew up in Bowman; it looks like she is a good 20 years younger than I but her experiences mirror mine, growing up in Williston in the 1950s and 60s. I guess North Dakota changes slowly (until now).
Growing up in Bowman, North Dakota, the only time I saw oil wells was when our family drove 50 minutes west to see our cousins in Baker, Montana.
I’d look out the windows at those black hammer-like pumpers grinding up and down, up and down, up and down and wonder how they pulled black gold from the ground, and where the oil went, and how rich the landowners were.
Deena drove 50 miles west to see oil wells in Baker, Montana. Our family drove 50 miles east to see oil wells in Tioga, North Dakota.

I would like to "cut and paste" the entire story, but cannot, and appropriately so. But it bothers me that good writing like Deena Winter's on a subject dear to my heart (North Dakota) can be so easily lost.

The video is unrelated to oil, but something the Bowman folks might enjoy. I certainly did.

Bowman High School Rodeo, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment