Saturday, December 22, 2012

Marvin Windows: Huge Story in New York Times

I have not read the New York Times in ages. I love the Times for its exceptionally good writing, but I can no longer take the editorial slant. I was able to read the Times for years once I realized the op-ed section was the entire first section, but it really has become a blog itself. And no matter how good the writing, I won't read liberal blogs. [And $7 for the Sunday edition; you have got to be kidding. $350 for a year of Sunday Times? One can buy the newest iPad for $329. But I digress, even more.]

But, my reading partner today volunteered to exchange his New York Times for my Wall Street Journal (I agreed, as long as I get the book review section back).  I don't know how many folks understand the power of "the" ring in Lord of the Rings, but that's exactly how I felt with the New Yorks Times within reach. Unlike Cate Blanchett who was able to resist the pull of the ring, I was not able to resist the pull of the NYT. But ... I only read the business section.

And on page B4, wow: no-layoff company now writes profit-sharing checks. No government bailout.
Marvin Windows and Doors, a family-owned business based in northern Minnesota, survived the financial crisis without any employee layoffs, a decision that won the company praise from presidential candidates and pundits alike. 
On Friday, the company gave employees their first profit-sharing checks in four years, plus a ham. While the checks were relatively modest — $799,379 was split among 2,573 employees, an average of $311 for each employee — company officials said it was a sign that the worst of the crisis may be over.
During the presidential campaign, President Obama referred to Marvin on several occasions as an example of a company that valued its employees over profits. Instead of laying off workers, Marvin officials cut back hours for hourly workers, eliminated some perks and cut pay for salaried employees, including executives and family members, with the goal of breaking even until the economy improved. 
And no government bailout. The company only had to move a few manufacturing plants into North Dakota.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the president took credit for saving MWD. He noted how difficult it was "saving MWD" while piloting the second helicopter that went into Pakistan at oh-dark-thirty to take out Osama.

No comments:

Post a Comment