Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Williston Wal-Mart -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

I continue to get an occasional comment about the Wal-Mart in Williston. And, of course, this editorial at the link about Wal-Mart.

Home of Economy remains my favorite store for work clothing, winter clothing, boots, etc., but folks suggesting that the Williston Wal-Mart looks like something from  post-hurricane Katrina must be visiting a Wal-Mart on a different planet.

I was just there two days ago, and again to pick up an item that was turned into "lost and found." I was amazed with two things: a) the number of shoppers there (of course, it was payday weekend); and, b) how well stocked the store was.

The store was very, very clean (it will be a problem keeping the store so clean come winter, snow, dirt, mud); nothing was strewn on the floor. I couldn't find a sales person to help me locate what I was looking for, but I walked back to the greeter, and she knew exactly where the item was located. Stores are all different, and one needs to learn how to navigate different stores. 

I am absolutely convinced that without Wal-Mart here, the other stores in town could not survive the volume. It would be bedlam. [From wiki: London hospital first to specialize in the mentally ill and origin of the word "bedlam" describing chaos or madness].

Wal-Mart looked fine; the shelves were very well stocked. My hunch is that Sam's computerized inventory system has this figured out. I'm sure the system programmers were called into check the numbers coming back at the beginning of the boom, but when verified, the company started rolling an army of semis to the Williston Wal-Mart with inventory.  There is a huge sign outside Wal-Mart looking for overnight stockers -- I think that's a new sign. I may apply. The middle of the night is a quiet time for me.

I don't know how the local Wal-Mart is handling its national policy allowing trucks and RVs to camp out in the parking lot. There are RV's there, and I believe they have a special location for such but however they are doing it, it seems to be working. Did you catch that segment on MSNBC about the gentleman living in the Wal-Mart parking lot? He had just arrived; he kept his washed/clean laundry on the left side of his car's trunk and the dirty clothes on the right. He had a ziplock bag for toothbrush and toiletries. Jobless but coming to Williston to find a job. At the end of the video, a follow-up tells us that he has found a job. I hope he is able to find a place to stay other than the Wal-Mart parking lot, but you have to commend a national company for doing that -- allowing folks at least a temporary place to stay. Obviously with their huge parking lot, they are one of the few that could handle that. It's amazing how little some folks can get by on for a short period of time. Makes one think.

Again, as I noted in the earlier posting. I may be in the minority but I prefer a very, very busy chaotic Wal-Mart due to a boom (the only boom in the US right now) as opposed to a very, very busy chaotic Wal-Mart due to a hurricane Katrina, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, the lines at Wal-Mart. Give me a break. One can spend 90 minutes filling two grocery carts with inventory and then stand in line for maybe ten minutes (though it feels like an eternity) to pay reasonable prices for great stuff. By the way, bring a book. It's amazing how fast ten minutes goes by when reading a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment