Friday, December 11, 2020

Notes From All Over -- The Mid-Day Market Edition -- December 11, 2020

WOW! WOW! Just announcing! Oracle moving headquarters from California to AUSTIN, TX.  Re-locations are tracked here.

WOW! DIS up 14% today. Up $22/share today. They announced they will increase their monthly subscription fee by $1. Doesn't sound like much for the average user, but $1/$7 = a .... well ... isn't this coincidental = the subscription price increased by 14% -- share price appreciates by 14%. I wonder if CNBC or Jim Cramer has noted this. My hunch? Jim Cramer will talk about DIS later this afternoon.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. 

This has been an incredible week. Who would have thought the Dow would have turned positive today, Friday, going into a weekend when anything can happen? The tea leaves suggest the market wants to go higher. DASH and ABNB held their levels, one dropping back a little (insignificant) and the other actually gaining a bit (insignificant). A few new billionaires created. 

Trading vs investing. I'm not a trader so I do not participate in any IPOs. I'm pretty much old school. I hate dividends because of the tax consequences. I love dividends for all the obvious reasons. My pet peeve (one of many): folks complaining that Berkshire Hathaway/Warren Buffett does not pay dividends.

Investing notes on the blog. I mostly post investing notes on the blog while I'm waiting for Bakken news. It also keeps me from getting bored; provides another perspective when I come back to these notes months/years from now. Mostly, it keeps me engaged with what's going on in the world. There is really nothing here for readers. This is simply for my own benefit to keep me interested in the Bakken on "slow" days. 

Biggest disappointment: Starbucks says the company will raise minimum wage to $15/hour --- but the company will do it over three years. With Starbucks hitting all-time highs, I would argue that Starbucks needs to do it now. Doesn't Walmart have a minimum $15 wage? I've lost that bubble. One way they could do this, is base the local wage on local conditions. For example, $15/hour in San Francisco comes nowhere near what $15/hour in Pierre, SD, can buy. Just saying. 

**************************************
Huge Pharmaceutical Facility
In West Virginia To Shut Down

This is a huge (unfortunate) story for Morgantown, WV: a huge pharmaceutical manufacturing lab will shut down next summer, costing 1,500 jobs. Link here.   

I completely missed this, back on May 30, 2019:

 
This is a very, very interesting (and unfortunate) story on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment