Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Notes From All Over -- Mid-Afternoon Edition -- December 30, 2020

AAPL: this is really, really cool. AAPL hit its "buy point" a couple of days ago, but then it moved back. What's going on? Investors are selling a bit of AAPL for various reasons:

  • professional managers: want to lock in their profits; make 2020 look as good as it can; will be back to buy AAPL after the New Year:
  • mom-and-pop retail: paying off credit card bills; Christmas shopping bills; they only have to sell a few shares but in the aggregate more selling than buying;
  • this is why the Santa Claus rally extends into the first two trading days after the New Year

Investors should love this:

American firepower: must drive them (the "bad guys") nuts.

China flu watch -- North Dakota:

********************************
The Movie Page

My wife knows everything about the movies. I know nothing about the movies, at least in the big scheme of things. With TCM, I am gradually catching up.

Hitchcock's The Birds is on TCM tonight. I don't know if I've ever watched the whole movie; the whole premise seemed ridiculous. But here I am, watching the big screen movie on the little screen. 

How could I miss this? Suzanne Pleshette.

Those in my generation were in our tweens when The Birds was released. On the other hand, my generation grew up with Suzanne Pleshette in the Bob Newhart Show. But here she is, in The Birds. In 1963, she was twenty-six years old so I assume she was twenty-four to twenty-five years old when she tried out for the part and when she played the part. 

As gorgeous and as wonderful Pleshette was in the Bob Newhart Show I was stunned by how Elizabeth-Taylor-esque Pleshette appeared standing in the doorway early in the movie. 

Via Wiki I see Suzanne Pleshette died in 2008 at the age of seventy, of lung cancer. In The Birds she is seen smoking in her scenes. Some irony, there, I suppose. In fact, Tippi Hedron is also seen smoking in her scenes. Pretty sad.

Seventy years old. My wife and I are fortunate to have made it to the same age in good health. If you have it, never take your good health for granted. It's a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment